Carole P. Roman is a prolific author of educational books. She’s written 35+ books (and she’s received 100+ awards for her books!).
Carole’s If You Were Me and Lived in…History series is written for kids 10 -14 years of age. The series allows readers to discover the world through the eyes of young people just like them, by describing what life was like in different eras. The time periods covered are: Ancient China, Viking Europe, The Middle Ages, Elizabethan England, Colonial America, and more. The topics included in each book are: the political climate of the time, clothes, food, customs, religion, recreation, etc.
These are really great books, and we appreciate them for the following reasons –
- The books cover a lot of info – kids learn new and interesting information. For instance, did you know that – Ancient Greece girls didn’t go to school as they were not considered citizens; thatched roofs, although charming, also housed fleas, rats and other wildlife; and in Scandinavia, the only coins minted were pennies?
- At the end of each book, the author includes info on important people of the time, as well as a glossary (we really like the glossary!).
- These books are perfect for a homeschool library.
- The books are attractive. The illustrations are appealing, and the paper is of good quality. These are very nice books!
- The author offers free worksheets to go with her books – and we love extra materials!
In case you’re interested, the author has also written the Captain No Beard series (Captain No Beard tackles problems on the high seas and dispenses valuable lessons at the same time), and other books such as Can A Princess Be A Firefighter, and more. If the pirate books pique your interest, check out the author’s Pinterest page, as it has lots of pirate worksheets and activities.