Techknow Training Studios provides online courses for homeschoolers in Grades 6 and up (beginners to advanced level students), covering the subjects of office productivity, desktop publishing, photo/video, programming, databases, and more. A list of their current and soon-to-be offerings include:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel – 1/2
- Microsoft Powerpoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft OneNote
- Microsoft Publisher
- Microsoft Access
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Lightroom
- Adobe Indesign
- Adobe Premiere
- Video w/ Camtasia Studio
- Intro to Computers
- Web Design w/ Adobe Dreamweaver
- Digital Photography
- Digital Videography
- Building Your Own Computer
- Introduction to Computer Networking
- Scratch Programming 1/2
New courses are always being added, and if you have a special request for a course, you can contact the company and make a suggestion – Techknow Training will look into creating it for you. Wow – that’s pretty cool! And if one of the courses above piques your interest, you can download its syllabus here.
What I like about these online courses–
- The subject matter.
- The courses teach essential skills that our children need to master.
- As a bonus, these skills can be used to promote advancement in other subject areas such as history, science, math, etc. Think of all the fun assignments!
- Each of the courses is made up of several modules – each module is usually under ten minutes each. The information is presented in small bite sized pieces and doesn’t overwhelm. Brief quizzes follow the modules, and a review test occurs at the end of each course. I like the entire format.
- A homeschooling Dad started this company when he saw a need within his own family. So, a homeschooler helping other homeschoolers…I like that. J
- Since the company was started by a homeschooling parent, he understands that courses need to be affordable. To this end, the company offers various payment plans (monthly, yearly, sibling/group plans) and the company helps in other ways as well –
- If you need to purchase software to accompany a course (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Phtoshop, etc), the company provides link information, in each course syllabus to point you to student pricing options. While they can’t guarantee the pricing of individual vendors, they do encourage you to contact them if you need help getting a good deal.
- The company realizes that free software is a plus, and so when possible, they build their courses around free software packages (Google Docs, Google Sheets, Gimp, Prezi and Google Slides).
- The courses offer the general advantages of online curricula – they’re self-paced, convenient, they provide immediate feedback, information can be reviewed easily, there is a parent portal, etc.
- Your student can get High School credit for these courses – in fact, s/he can earn ½ credit for 60 hours of coursework. For information regarding how the company determines course credit, click here.
- Techknow Training Studios offers a student achievement system, where each student can gain points and online badges for successfully completing a course/mastering a learning path. Every 9 weeks, the company chooses 4 lucky (and successful) students to receive cool technology related prizes (robot kits, iPads, drones, computer software, and more).
- The company offers good customer support which includes online chat as well as remote support.
What I love about this company ♥–
The founder understands that some parents might lack technology skills – and that both parents and children can benefit when parents learn alongside their children.
So…with the purchase of a student account, Techknow offers FREE courseware to all parents.
WOW! Want to learn or just brush up on Power Point, Excel, programming, and more? Now you can – and you can do it for FREE!
Really, what’s not to like/love? ♥