Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curriculum For 21 Month old

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AprilV90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AprilV90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curriculum For 21 Month old
    Posted: 03/Nov/2011 at 11:26am
Hello,

I just wanted some info from anyone who would have some good suggestions on curriculums for 2-3 year old. My daughter who is 21 months old is very advanced. I have been doing early learning with her since she was just a few months old. She knows and recognizes all of the alphabet. Can recognize her numbers up to 10 and can count to 20. Know all the different body parts. Can say and recognize all her basic colors, and can recognize most objects and animals.

I am now trying to teach her blends as the next step and currently do pre-writing exercises with her, along with coloring, play-dough, and different "activities" that I found online for pre-writing.

I guess what I am interested is a good homeschool curriculum that I can follow, as I would like to continue to teach her and make steps forward. Just wondering if anyone can suggest any to me, It would much appreciated!! Thank you!!
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Nov/2011 at 1:45pm

I cannot think of any published preschool materials I'd recommend for a child so young, regardless of how advanced she seems. In fact, homeschool materials are not usually published for children younger than 5 or 6.

You could look into "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." It's particularly good for children who want to read but whose physical capablities are not ready for most other phonics methods.

You could also see if your local library has any Montessori books. Montessori is particularly good for younger children.

cahs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Jan/2012 at 10:49am
Use starfall.com, readingbear.org and Your Baby Can Read to teach reading. In terms of knowledge building, you can easily develop your own curriculum. An article like How to create a curriculum for a toddler might help. Marshmallow Math is a really good introduction for math, starting with toddlers and going through elementary school. It uses activities to teach concepts rather than worksheets.
highergroundhome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote highergroundhome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Jun/2014 at 8:26pm
cahs has good advice.
My son was the same way and reading at 3 1/2 but run as far as you can from 100 easy lessons.... I had that book and after going through it before we got to lesson 3 I realized that method was aggravating me and frustrating my child and threw it out. Went back to rote phonics and literature immersion with sight words and BOOM he exploded with it!

With kids that young there isn't a formalized program. I am not sure at that age formalized is needed anyway. Read with them, go on walks and out to places to learn and explore together. Let them help around home when they can. Get into a story group at a library. Find a play group. talking with them is the best way they learn and ALOT of play. I know with advanced kids it's easy to push but at barely 2 it's not necessary. There is plenty of time for that!    If you want something with themed activities that you can do for that age try pammshouse.com as it has lots of ideas with letters, shapes, colors, art, etc.. it's free. I did a lot of them with my oldest at that age and everything else I mentioned too.   He is 7 and we are going to 3rd grade in fall. He stayed the course, caught up just fine and it didn't hinder him. Remember, there is no prize to get them to college before they can drive a car and really no need to! They will all get there in the end- advanced or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic