Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GED or Diploma? what is better

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kathym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GED or Diploma? what is better
    Posted: 05/Nov/2011 at 2:07pm
New to homeschooling just started this year after having to pull my son out of the PS after the first 9 weeks of being in class.
He has adjusted well here at home doing all his work and doing it well.  His future for him at this time is possibly the Air Force, and from what I understand requires 15 credits of college.  He is wanting a HS Diploma not the GED.  My husband feel we should only push him for a GED and send him on his way, he also feels a home school diploma will do nothing for him compared to the GED.  I of course disagree. Am I wrong or is a GED the better way to go?
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Nov/2011 at 5:38pm

GED does almost nothing.

I say give that boy the diploma that *both* of you earn. That means you're right. :-)

kathym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Nov/2011 at 3:33am
Thank You! 
I am proud of how far he has come in just a few short weeks.
HistoryMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoryMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Nov/2011 at 1:11pm

Definitely the diploma!!!

There is more info at this page in regards to homeschooling and potential armed services path:
http://www.militaryhomeschoolers.com/

Keep in mind that no single source has the whole story but going into the military is a path that does have definite "do's and don'ts" - at least in terms of making it better/easier. There are many homeschoolers who serve with distinction in the services, some getting appointments to academies even. The main points that I know of to help is to do a diploma instead of a GED, get in those college hours and do the type of homeschooling that will look very traditional on the diploma with at least some outside classes (which the college stuff will do). They just want to know your child can fit into a mass education situation. I don't have personal experience on this with a child but one did think about it a lot and so I did a lot of research and that was what I saw over and over.

Lots of people start homeschooling in high school - kudos to you!!!

~Karen in NC
manicbutterfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manicbutterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 6:51am
I have graduated 3 kids (two of my own and my niece) from our homeschool and given them a homeschool diploma. They are currently in college- one in community college, one is nursing school finishing up her BSRN, and one is entering grad school next year. They had no issues at all with their homeschool diploma. I suggest reaching out to your local homeschool community. Many areas have teen homeschool groups which area wealth of information and would be a great a support network for you and social network for your teen , especially as he gets used to the idea of homeschooling.

Its your *transcript*, not your diploma that will indicate what courses your child has taken. The diploma is just a piece of paper stating that you have met your schools graduating requirements.
Your state may have requirements for graduating homeschoolers, my state does not, we can determine what our own school's graduation requirements are and give a diploma when we feel ready. BUT the transcript has to stand up to what the college or armed services expects to see on an incoming transcript.
My advice to people graduating kids from their homeschool is to talk to your kids about their goals - shift your focus from "what should my graduation requirements be?" to "what are the entrance requirements where my child wished to go?" and tailor your curriculum to that.
good luck!
themadmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themadmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Jan/2012 at 10:56am
I had to weigh that question 20 years ago and opted for the diploma.  I have never looked back  For better or worse, a GED is viewed as a sign of failure to finish HS.  After attending the Air Force Academy and working with other homeschoolers battling Air Force entry bureaucracy, I can honestly say that a GED is generally a bad idea.  A diploma is a box being checked.  What admissions will look for is transcripts (what you have done) and test scores (proof that you can take tests).  Focus your transcripts on the next level and don't neglect test prep.  
WorksheetsMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorksheetsMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Feb/2012 at 3:53pm
We've weighed that decision, too, and been very happy with the transcript/diploma route. So far we do not have college bound children, but we do have two graphics artists who graduated several years ago. We have six more coming with two ready to graduate in 2013. Our best candidates for any sort of college would be our youngest two - ages from now. 

Our oldest have pursued learning computer skills and Adobe Suites and I am so glad that they've gone that route! I feel safer with them on the internet throughout their lives and my sister, who is a career graphics artist, says that they have $40/hr skills. In a way, we just continued the home learning and they are in a very good position now.

We do have friends who have gone the GED route and their children are doing well, but I do not know their details. As a matter of fact, the one time that I had looked into it, I'd contacted something like Twenty First Century (I don't remember the name of the local company) that trained people to take the GED and got talked out of it by the lady who answered! She herself had homeschooled her children, at least for a while and she did not recommend the GED....

I know that this might be late for you, but perhaps it will be a help to others.

Mary in KS

coronahs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coronahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Sep/2012 at 7:00am
You must be very careful of diploma scams!   I have a nephew that used an online "high school" to get his high school diploma for a technical school.  It turns out that the "school" had no proper accreditation and my nephew was rejected for enrollment at the technical school- very bad.  I think if people have the time they should try to get an accreditated high school diploma but like every thing else be very careful of the schools you select so many are scams!
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Sep/2012 at 5:54pm
Very few homeschoolers receive diplomas from accredited distance-learning schools. In most cases, the parents issue the diplomas, and as it turns out, a diploma from a parent does the job just as well as a diploma from an accredited school.

Accreditation matters more at the college level, especially if someone wants to transfer to another institution. High school...not so much.
dorab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dorab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2012 at 8:56am
Diploma or GED it all depends on the child's goals. However I would always suggest pushing a child to get their high school diploma because many places look down on a GED.  Of course if a child just can't complete or want to do a high school program they at least need their GED.Smile
The_HomeScholar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_HomeScholar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Oct/2012 at 7:51pm

Once your son starts deciding on what colleges he’s interested in (whether the AFA or others), it’s important to take a look at the college’s policy regarding homeschool students. Colleges do not need a GED from your student. If they require a GED, you can bet they are not a homeschool friendly college.

There are some colleges that accept a GED from homeschool students who do not provide either a transcript or portfolio. This is an option that colleges use to provide flexibility in their homeschool admission policy. However, allowing a GED as an option is different than requiring a GED as part of their policy.

Get to know the college admission policy to determine if the school is homeschool friendly. Few colleges these days will require a GED. Most colleges see and admit homeschoolers regularly, and are unfazed by homeschool transcripts. If you run across one that doesn't understand independent homeschooling, you should likely shop for another college, one that is more homeschool friendly. More and more colleges are learning that policies requiring a GED from homeschoolers are counter-productive, and they are changing their policies to be more accepting of homeschoolers. As homeschoolers in college become more and more common, colleges will feel growing pressure to take down barriers that discourage homeschool families. This is good news for families considering homeschooling high school.  Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic