Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When does reading click??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hmcnally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmcnally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When does reading click??
    Posted: 17/Jan/2012 at 10:53pm

Hi,

I am just starting out teaching my nearly 5 year old daughter to read.  We have been doing a couple pages of ETC 1 (we are almost done this book) for about 2 months, and reading Bob Books and other books/signs/newspapers or whatever is lying around just incidentally through the day.  She can sound out any 3 letter word that has regular sounds but has trouble remembering any word and sounds every one out every time, even if it has just been in the sentence two words before!

I know she is young and we are completely just working at her speed, I'm just curious at what point for kids does reading click??  At what point do kids learn to recognize common words (and, the, etc...) and not have to sound out every single one, because by the time she has done that, she has no idea what the sentence said!

Thanks,

Heather

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jan/2012 at 6:38am

It clicks at different ages with different children.

Your dd is young, and you've only completed one of the ETC books. I wouldn't expect any clicking to be going on yet.

hST View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jan/2012 at 9:59am
You say you have just started teaching her to read. It takes time and a lot of repetition before it clicks. I started teaching just phonetics. My guy was 4.. The first thing we did every morning was play our sound game. We did the letter sounds from the letter A to Z.

After he had gotten his phonetics down, I then went to Amazon and ordered the old Dick and Jane books. By the time he turned 5 reading had clicked. Now at 7 he is reading at third grade level.

Hang in there, it will click for her too.
starting_over View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starting_over Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jan/2012 at 9:42am
My DS is 5 and has come a long way since September.  The great thing about homeschooling is that you know when she has had enough for the day.  It takes a lot of time, patience and love.  It will happen when she is ready.
starting_over View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starting_over Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jan/2012 at 11:01am
I forgot that he turned 6!!!!
WorksheetsMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorksheetsMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Feb/2012 at 4:57pm
Out of eight children, I've had two that still didn't "get it" till eleven years old or more. The one is fine now and caught up by the eighth grade. The other is brand new eleven (should I say elfen?). Wow. Once he's caught on though, he's going to zoom. We've had two that could read at 5 and the rest were reading by seven and nine-ish but for these two at eleven.

We didn't do much that required any real program for reading. Most of mine have learned to read best by writing (Writing Road To Reading style). I've been through about three "programs" in the course of the last 20 years and eight children (six still in school) and have always found that there are other books that I would rather use or new tips that make a lot of sense. Dr. Art Robinson's video was a giant help to me and has saved me eons of time, plus I think that it has helped our children become independent learners. It has been a giant help with Math, Science and Writing.

Reading? Well, John Taylor Gatto said that old timers simply taught their children through one hard book and the children could read ever after that. Think of the number of Laura Ingalls Wilder types that only had a Bible to read. This the very bit that saved my first eleven year old (who is NOT elfen). We read about 2 paragraphs every day and any word that she had to sound out or couldn't figure we took to the board. I wrote the base word and added the suffixes and prefixes to build the word and then wrote the word again. She copied only those words for her "spelling" vocabulary - and I did not give any tests. 

That year she had taken 5 months to get into the second chapter of a Little House type book. After just three weeks, she finished the rest of the book in that very week! 

Keep on keeping on!

Mary

HistoryMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoryMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Feb/2012 at 2:49pm
Out of four children, mine read at 8 1/2, 6, 6 and 5 (the last because he wanted to be able to read his video games lol). It seemed like forever with the oldest but when it clicked, she was reading nancy drew in a month or two. As WorksheetsMom said, it is not unusual for a child to be later than that without necessarily a serious issue, just not ready. My second child learned about 6 but didn't do a whole lot of reading until about age 11. You are on the right track~

~Karen in NC
Blessings2all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blessings2all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Jul/2012 at 6:40pm
Encourage your daughter to look at the whole word after she has sounded it out.  She needs to go from parts to whole.  She is seeing the word in its parts and needs to transfer to seeing the whole word.  Try reading aloud picture books to her and run your finger under the words as you read.  Then have your daughter do the same.  You can also put a few words that she has learned on a page and call out one and ask her to point to it.  It should come to her in time.  Good luck and have fun!Smile
Drevik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drevik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Aug/2012 at 6:16pm
I have been using videos since my baby was 4 months old to teach reading.  Your Baby Can Read series, Preschool Prep Series, Wordworld and  Leapfrog Phonics Farm. More recently, the Best of the Electric Company,  Learning to Read with Phonics (Mrs Phipps and Snoovey) , and Super Why.  My son is 22 months and can read over 100 words, using 3x5 index cards as flashcards.  He enjoys the cards and will often bring us the box to "do cards." 
The problem that I am having is that I know that he knows the words but still prefers us to read his books to him.  Does anyone have a suggetion on how to transition him into actually reading books himself.  I feel like we have hit a wall.

His counting is similiar.  He knows how to count to 40 and backwards as well (thanks to the microwave).  But, he is not counting item for item. One number per item. If we count objects 6 objects, on the last one, he finshes to 10 anyways.  Thia is the same with steps.  If you count steps on a staircase, he will finish to 20 even if there are only 16.

Suggestions?

jessica12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessica12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Sep/2012 at 12:11am
Hi,
I think not all children act, talk and behave in the same manner. Many children start talking at an early age. So you don't need to worry about your child. All you need is to keep interacting and talk at home with her. I am sure she will respond and start talking soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic