Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com - The #1 Homeschooling Community
| More

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrod & staff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
beatrixburgundy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: rod & staff
    Posted: 02/Jun/2006 at 3:24am

okay, i know i have ask a lot of questions. But, i have read nothing but good things on this rod and staff math and english.  Does anyone have a comment on this curriculum? Please

michelle

Leanne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jun/2006 at 11:05am

Going to be trying out the math this year so I cant really comment on it, except that it looks good and comes highly recommended

by his grace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jun/2006 at 12:32pm

I don't know much about any, but A lady I use to go to church with uses this, she loves it. She has 3 boys.

Good Luck...........by His grace

Daisy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jun/2006 at 2:25pm
We love R&S reading and english.  I am probably going to try their Math this year.  It is high quality and I like that it isn't dumbed down.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jun/2006 at 3:55pm
I heard that it is pretty slow pace and behind all other curriculum.  Is that so? 
Daisy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jun/2006 at 4:23pm

The math does move slower but by 7th grade the kids have no problem transitioning to Saxon.  The math moves slower because it is mastery approach instead of spiral (so you will find the same issue with MUS and MCP math).  Mastery approach curriculums stay on addition/subtraction facts longer then most other curriculums but the kids seem to really LEARN their facts.  I think it is a matter of knowing what will work best for your child.  By Jr. High it is all irrelevent as they are all ready for higher concept math.  So your destination is the same, you just might take a different road getting there.  I suggest picking one and sticking to it if at all possible or at least sticking with the same approach (spiral or mastery).

Reading and English are actually advanced over any other curriculum we have tried including Abeka.  What we really like about the reading is the awesome comprehension work.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jun/2006 at 4:44pm

oh, really.  I guess i will go back and look at the English closer.  I was mainly looking at the math for my son going into 3rd gr.. How far, for that grade level, if you know, does the math facts go? 

Originally for the Lang., was looking at, for him, was the read and think(a beka),Wordly Wise, and then I didn't know if I needed a language curr. on top of those or if those would do?  Or would those just be good supplements?

thank you for all the suggestions

Daisy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jun/2006 at 4:56pm

R&S 3rd grade math goes through multiples/dividends of 9 and starts simple long division.  The first 26 lesssons are a review of add/subt facts with borrowing.  Be forewarned though that by 3rd grade they don't provide a worktext for the child anymore.  Rather problems are copied from the child's textbook.  We do half the problems orally and the rest are copied.  You can buy black-lined masters though.

Abeka read and think book is made up of short passages to read with multiple choice comprehension questions.  The passages are meant to be timed.  I like R&S reading better mostly because they are actually reading Bible stories (until 5th grade anyway) and the comprehension questions are deeper and require them to actually answer with a full sentence.  Abeka views the Read and Think as a speed-building supplement to their reading/language curriculum.   

I am not real familiar with Worldly Wise but the R&S English for 3rd grade covers traditional grammar, poetry, letter writing, etc. 

What is really great about R&S it that you can call them and they will send you wonderful samples from whatever grade-level you are interested in.  (606) 522-4348.  You can also see samples at www.rodandstaffbooks.com

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jun/2006 at 5:48pm

One bad thing our school does is not correct grammar or spelling.  Even in 5th grade.  Their philosophy is that they will learn in time.  Just spell it how it sounds. Drove me crazy when my daughter brings home papers in 5th grade with words misspelled and not corrected.  She is an excellent reader and student. 

This is what they teach in the elementary grades. so by the time they reach highschool, they can't write complete sentences or spell.  Not all, but a lot.  thanks for the tips. i may be posting again. once i read some more on the info.

thanks

summer70 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Jun/2006 at 2:22pm
I have looked over Rod and Dtaff English and it is not at all behind other curricula. In fact, it is more ahead if anything. I have not used it, but am seriously considering it for my younger children when they get there. My older children have always used BJU English and we loved it.
Megans Mom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Jun/2006 at 9:37pm
Hello, I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Rod and Staff! Well let me start with the reading, we did use it for 1st and 2nd and tried it in 3rd to but I just couldn't do it I couldn't pronounce some of the Bible words so I thought unless I had someone to pronounce them for me all the time it wouldn't be that good for us but I do LOVE that it is all bible so I do recommend it highly! So I went with Pathway Readers and we liked it also. It has alot of comp. But I think I am going to go back to the R & S for 4th, I looked at the sample for 4th and it is different still bible but not all from the bible, bible related. And the spelling is great too. Again we used 1st,2nd,3rd, but I did try the Abeka too for 3rd, I wasn't impressed it was ok but the word lists were 28 I think that is too many. So of couse we went back to R&S. But I am debating on using it for the 4th they go from doing 2 page lessons in the 3rd to I think 4 page lessons I think that will be too much for my daughter so I am looking into A Reason For Spelling I think it looks promising.We have used the 1st,2nd,and 3rd. They do use alot of drill but I think that is good, and as for the 3rd grade work text and copying from the book I let my daughter just write in the book I mean it was ours so no problem. To me there was no need in all the copying. The English is great also they do nouns,pronouns,adverbs,adjectives ect. they don't just try it and drop it they do it several times and then go back to it a little later. To me it is just the right amount of work, i started with  it and I also bought the Abeka language too but I felt like there wasnt enough work. So I went right back to R and S. They do diagrahm alot and I think they do more of it in the 4th but it isn't no big deal for us my daughter loves it, and she will ask to digrahm. When she sees she will be doing it she gets excited about it. We don't use the Science and History so I have no comment there. But everything else is BRILLIANT I give them 2 thumbs up and an applauds also! NO WAY is it behind other cirriculums I know for a fact that it is ahead of public schools I have friends that tell me my kid isn't doing that yet so it is ahead. I don't think it is slow paced either. I mean like I said there is alot of drill in the math and that may make it seem slow because it stays on one long enough for the child to really get it. They are really into the memorization they even say in the book to not let your children count on their fingers for it is a waste of time so that is why so many drills for the memory which is good for my daughter! WE LOVE ROD AND STAFF!!!!! Yes I recommend you get the sample lesson books they are FREE !How many ciriculums do that? Ans also when you order they send all kinds of GREAT little extra things with the order. I love that stuff too. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ROD AND STAFF!!!!!! sorry so long but I had so many great things to say Megans Mom
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jun/2006 at 8:38pm

Rod and Staff Publishers' materials are very good, IMHO--as academically sound as ABeka or BJUP, no twaddle, easy to teach, and inexpensive to boot :-)

The English and math series are particularly good. No, the math is not "behind" any other publisher. While others are tossing in advanced concepts which the children are not yet ready to learn, and doing this every year until the children are actually ready, R&S just goes merrily along, teaching age-appropriate arithmetic facts. And voila! by fourth grade, most publishers are pretty level...except R&S students have a sound understanding of basic arithmetic and are ready for the more advanced concepts.

The English does tend to be tougher than many other publishers. It is not unusual for an older child (10 or 11) to start a grade level lower.

Spelling by Sound and Structure is a good, solid spelling series.

The God's World science series (right now grades 3, 4, and 5) is quite good.

You can get free samples of each grade level by calling (606) 522-4348.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic