Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

k-12 grades, transcripts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Luvinhschoolin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvinhschoolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: k-12 grades, transcripts
    Posted: 19/Apr/2012 at 1:41pm
Hi,

What is the rule of the thumb, norm for grading/tanscripts before high school?
For instance from K-6, how many credits/year is the norm?
How about for grades 6-12?
Thanks,

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Apr/2012 at 4:34pm
Children don't accumulate credits at all until 9th grade. Smile

For the four years of high school, 5-7 credits is the norm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvinhschoolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Apr/2012 at 3:56am
Thank you Elliemaejune!
So what do transcripts look like for grades K-8?
There must be some kind of standard practice in schools for when kids want to transfer to another school. What kind of transcript/school record do schools issue?
I would like to keep similar yearly records for my children from grade 1-8. What do you suggest?
I would like to validate every school year that way. Any recommendations?

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Apr/2012 at 2:39pm
There are no "transcripts" for elementary.

There is no "standard practice."

I know it blows your mind; I felt the same way when I administered an umbrella school for homeschoolers, and requested cumulative records from dozens of public and private school.

It's most common for there to be photocopies of the children's report cards.

Bob Jones University Press (BJUP) has an "Elementary Academic Record," which is similar to a transcript, but it isn't. Transcripts are high school level--at least, that's what most professional educators will say, and I think it's important for us homeschoolers to use the same vocabulary. :-)
CNBarnes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CNBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Apr/2012 at 2:27pm
It is extreamly rare to have ANY transcripts for grades K-8.     Mostly because nobody (colleges, employers, military) simply don't want them. 

We didn't even keep track (not required in Texas).  All 3 of our daughters went to college.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvinhschoolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Apr/2012 at 8:29am
Texas seems to be the ideal place to homeschool :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvinhschoolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Apr/2012 at 10:58am
Hi,

Thank you, that was very helpful. It looks like the BJU press elementary academic record looks similar to transcripts indeed.
What do reports cards for elementary level look like then? Don't they report classes, grades, etc? Any link for a typical record card?
What did you do when you administered an umbrella school for home schoolers as far as record keeping?
I would be interested in talking with you in private, if possible?

Blessings,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic