Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barton Reading and Spelling System for Dyslexia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BeckySG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeckySG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barton Reading and Spelling System for Dyslexia
    Posted: 14/Jun/2012 at 7:22pm
I don't know if any of you have kids who are struggling with dyslexia. Thanks to some really cool friends and mentors, I was introduced to the Barton Reading and Spelling System. I'm sure that many of you are looking for cheap curriculum. I have to admit, this is not cheap. It is possible to buy it used on ebay or in your local classified ads- which can make it significantly cheaper.

When I first started teaching my oldest son, who just finished 6th grade, I found out that it is normal for kids around 1st/2nd grade to temporarily reverse letters. However, my son, was still struggling with reversals, dysgraphia, and a host of other dyslexia-related problems. I never did get him tested, because it costs thousands of dollars to get  a "maybe."

My friends told me about the Barton Reading and Spelling Program, which brings logic and understanding through the use of cleverly worded rules to explain why words are spelled a certain way and how to figure out the tricky words that could be spelled more than one way because certain sounds can be spelled more than one way. For instance, long O can be spelled o-consonant-e, oa, oe, ow, etc. Back to the friends, they urged me to try it.

My 6th grader, when he was in 3rd grade struggled with reading and HATED it. I started him in the Barton program in 4th grade and now he is reading the entire Lord of the Rings Series. My other son, who just completed 4th grade, hated reading, too. We are working our way through the program with him. He is now reading the Dark is Rising- voluntarily! I am ecstatic beyond belief!

So, if your child is struggling with reading and spelling, I definitely recommend it. Look it up in the classified ads, ebay, or anywhere you can buy used curriculum.

I know that this forum has a "nofollow" script running, but I hope it will let me link you to blog post and article anyway because I seriously would hate for your kids to suffer needlessly. If I repeated everything I wrote on those sites, this would be a book of a forum post.

This program, from what I am told, works for kids who don't have dyslexia, too. So, don't skip reading it just because you think your kids don't have dyslexia. Anyone who has challenges with reading and spelling will benefit from this multi-sensory program. Your kids will like that there are no "tests" and that they can practice and repeat the lessons that they struggle with most until they understand what was presented.

Each discusses different, yet important aspects of the program. So, I recommend that you read them both.

My Article:
http://www.streetarticles.com/home-school-curriculum/barton-reading-and-spelling-review

My Blog:
http://homeschoolingintheburbs.info/barton-reading-and-spelling-system

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic