Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com - The #1 Homeschooling Community
| More

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AdinahMiryam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdinahMiryam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electives
    Posted: 20/Sep/2012 at 1:04pm
Hey Everyone,
My son just started 9TH grade and I need to choose Electives 3 Units for this year and I am not sure....any suggestions? We are in NYC.

Thanks

The_HomeScholar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_HomeScholar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Sep/2012 at 4:46pm
Hi Adinah,
Electives are a great opportunity for your student to pursue their individual interests and passions, what I like to call delight-directed learning.  What is your son interested in?  Can you turn it into a high school course?  It doesn't have to be bounded by exams, papers, and reports--that can kill their interest.  There are many other ways to evaluate and grade their experiences and learning.

Additionally, if there are specific topics or experiences that your family values, that you want your son to know about before he graduates, electives can cover those experiences.  I know a family who lives 'off the grid' who want their daughter to learn how to build a geodesic dome before she graduates!  That's one of their 'family graduation requirements'!  Another family wants their child to master the art of cooking for a family.  What does your family value?  Teach it!

If your son has any ideas about what he wants to do after high school graduation, you could create a course to explore those interests, perhaps an internship, volunteering opportunity, etc.  And don't forget how valuable test preparation can be!  We did a whole year of test prep with our sons so that they'd score higher on the SAT/ACT and get college scholarships.  They did a ton of writing, and we gave them English credit for it.  It really paid off.

I hope you find what works for your son and your family!

Blessings,
Lee

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic