Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23 Year old needs homeschooling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wrenen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrenen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 23 Year old needs homeschooling
    Posted: 13/Nov/2012 at 9:24pm
Hello everyone.

I am 23 Years old came to the US 13 years ago. Due to various reasons, mainly having to restart my studies from 1st grade in english I only made it to 5th grade before dropping out of school and getting a job as an IT Manager.

I am looking for a way I can homeschool on an Ipad. This is because I travel a lot and I dont have a way to carry all the books I would need with me. I used saxon math for a little bit but was not able to continue as I had to travel non-stop for 8 months and couldn't drag all those books around with me.

I am pretty bright otherwise, I have a job as a successful computer manager and I write websites and code. My reading level is probably fine but everything else is around 5th grade level.

I can't find any apps that are actually used to teach, all the ones I can find are to practice, which doen't help much if I don't know the subject Im trying to practice. If anyone knows of a program that I can use or even a website that I can use to get my education it would be great. I plan on taking my GED at some point but I have never made it past 5th grade so Im not sure how that will work.....

Thank you for your help!
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Nov/2012 at 1:41pm
What you're looking for is not "homeschooling." :-)

You could find a book that has sample GED exams in it and begin your studies there. You'd have a better idea of what you need to know.

Also, you'd probably be better off looking for on-line classes, but you'd probably have to buy hard copies of the texts used.
wrenen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrenen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Nov/2012 at 1:44pm
Brillant! Thank you!
Yeah I knew I wasnt really looking for home schooling but I knew you guys would know better than anyone else about this kinda stuff. 
Do you know any good online classes that are affordable and good?

Jessica Parnell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jessica Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Nov/2012 at 5:18am
Bridgeway High School also offers high school education for adults.  Some of the remedial courses do begin down at a fourth grade level but allow adult learners to move very quickly to high school level skills.  Check it out at bridgewayhighschool.com.  Courses are not on an Ipad but are very transportable and a diploma will go much further than a GED.
wrenen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrenen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Nov/2012 at 6:44am
Great! thank you Jessica! This is what Im looking for!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic