Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with my toddler while HS????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
afotomama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afotomama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do with my toddler while HS????
    Posted: 27/Nov/2012 at 11:50am
Hi, I'm new here, in search of advice.  I am new to HS this year.  My son is turning 6 and we are LOVING homeschooling together.  He's a model student and is doing so well, and I'm learning so much, too.  The problem?  My youngest, who is turning 3 in a few weeks, is IMPOSSIBLE.  I've tried so many things to occupy him while HS his brother, and he just becomes whiny, clingy, needy, moody, and just a nutball when it's HS time.  I have tried to give him activities which include him in our lesson; I've tried to give him his own activities; I've tried fun/new things with sorting or cutting or sensory tubs or all the other ideas I've seen out there.  Nothing works.  And he doesn't nap anymore, so that's out.
I really want to continue to HS my older son, but the little one is making it really difficult and I am at my wit's end.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!  TIA!!!
TeachingMyToddlers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeachingMyToddlers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Dec/2012 at 6:59am
Learning DVD's to the rescue! Just one or two a day that are strategically timed, along with some activities that only come out during school time. (REAL learning DVDs, literacy, math, science, etc, not junk on tv. Even though he does not nap, I still think quiet time is very good thing. My kids rooms are pretty kid safe, and on the days they don't nap I have them lay down with some books or a learning dvd in their beds, or even play legos quietly. Does he know how to use the computer? There are some great introductory preschool learning games out there too.

It's tricky to balance it all, but really, you can start HS'ing DS3 too, albeit in a slightly different way.  If you were 3, you would probably cling to mom if she gave all her attention to brother for hours on end, my younger son does the same thing. Might be helpful to get a timer and alternate back and forth between kids every 30 minutes?  Just some ideas!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic