Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

11yo crying over leaving his friends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
runninmama3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runninmama3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11yo crying over leaving his friends
    Posted: 18/Dec/2012 at 6:10am
My 11 year old began crying the other day when we discussed homeschooling because he doesn't want to leave his friends. I am not silly enough to not realize that when we leave public school that there will be some who will think we are odd and he will lose contact with some of those kids but I know he will make new ones in the enrichment programs available and the neighbors we have aren't going anywhere. How do you handle that? I can leave high school for a later date to worry about. I know if they go back into public education later they will have to test to get in but I also know that they will likely be further along than there peers since I won't have to worry about all the testing and benchmarking.
cv3mom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv3mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Jan/2013 at 8:10pm
It is hard to see your child cry. We have spoken many times about hsing our children. My DD has been very excited about it. Until I informed her today that we would be homeschooling them, beginning next week.
She began to cry about all that she would miss at school. Her friends,her teachers, that she has worked so hard to earn "points" for a reading program to win charms.
It almost made me say, "forget it, I cant do this to her!"
My husband reminded me of the reasons why we want to homeschool.
We sat down with her and explained that we will introduce them into programs to meet new friends. That mom will have incentives for them when they complete an assignment or book. (now I need to come up with a list of rewards)
I agree with testing and benchmarking. ....the stress that they put on these kids. Enough to cause ulcers.
Hugs, the transition will be challenging. I wish you the best.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic