Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com - The #1 Homeschooling Community
| More

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet’s talk about learning styles!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
cruncymom76 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 7:12am

Actually, the preschool test involved my kid putting together puzzles, etc...It just showed that he was just about off the charts for visual/spatial skills which *I already knew* anyway. :) 

I know a school psychologist who did his testing for me.  It was really interesting to hear another perspective on my son. Even with me being a certified teacher, it's still nice to get more data--even if it's as a result of him putting shapes together, etc in the form of a "test" which I'm not a fan of.

Originally posted by justcardi justcardi wrote:

And would I test my children to see how they learn best?

I think the way you define "learning styles" and how you use them depends strongly on your own educational ideals and philosophies. 

Cardella

Edited by cruncymom76
cruncymom76 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 7:13am

As a homeschool evaluator, I can tell you that some parents out there wouldn't agree with that statement...While they may feel that way (deep down), they have trouble letting go of what "school" is supposed to look like in their home.

That's just been my experience..

Originally posted by justcardi justcardi wrote:

I think we all agree.  We are just misinterpreting eachother. 

justcardi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 8:12am

Here is what I have.  I have a reader (Jenna, age 11) and a busy bee (Abby, age 6 1/2).  I learn best when someone shows me something.  I like step by step instruction and I do not jump into leadership roles.  I am more of a support person.  I "teach" best with play, read alouds, and discussions.  Unschooling works very well for us.

Cardella

Cat05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 10:41am
I think Cardella is right.  We do mainly agree with each other.  

Jan--Now that you say as much, I recall that Kindergarten here is also a full day program.  I never looked into it for us so I have no idea what they do with their time.

I think the bottom line is we all want what's best for our kids and our families.  We may come to different conclusions about what that 'best' looks like--but that's part of the fun.
lizzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 2:42pm
Cat05,

I don't care how the pilot cooks, just how he flies.  Almost everything I do well, is by "feel" not by science.  My husband is just the opposite and hates to watch me cook.
Different jobs require different brain functions and every person is gifted in different areas - this is why learning styles are different.  People are different.
Cat05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Apr/2007 at 6:06am
Lizzy,

I'm sorry I took my pmsing temper to you, I know my reply to you was short.

I'll write more later--now I am very behind in what I wanted to do today and have to get off the computer.

Aslyn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by cornopean cornopean wrote:

Originally posted by Lyric Lyric wrote:

Iabsolutely NOTHING can get her to like math... but she will read or listen to lessons or do experiments all day long lol.

Here is my problem.  think how many doors are closing for this girl if she never learns to do math........and even to enjoy doing it.  dont you think that ,starting at a young age, you can bend a child's mind and learning style to fit some of the subjects that are so crucial in today's society? 

cornopean

K sorry for jumping in here, but I find this most interesting and had to interject I have to disagree with cornopean on this point. I HATED HATED HATED math when I was in school..algebra to this day is like a foreign language for me. Forget trig or any of those subjects; I can do basic math which unless your are pursuing a career in the sciences it really doesnt matter if its not your thing. I am Now a homeschooling mom, I run my own advertising business out of my home. I do have a degree in marketing and my lack of math skills has never inhibited me from anything. Now my daughter is a math WHIZ. She understands fractions at 6 better than I do at 31. Her interests are of the astronomical nature as in space, the stars, planets etc..She wants to build a rocket ship this year and although I am not the crafty "type" I am game for any type of learning she initiates.

In short I think that a child leans towards the subjects they are interested in and will be stronger in those subjects, therefore their ambitions will draw from them.
3moores View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Oct/2008 at 10:31am
hey there, exactly how would you go about doing your own observation on your own child to determine their learning style? what kind of things could you give them to do to see what they are? this is one confusing area for me. thanks 3moores
3moores View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Oct/2008 at 10:34am
me again also how do you go about unschooling??? 3moores
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic