Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com - The #1 Homeschooling Community
| More

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew LDS Homeschooler!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
robdobsmom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Feb/2007 at 7:26pm

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I and the dr. thing that my son should finish out 5th grade in school - let him have the fun of graduation and the party.

I've been praying so hard about what I should do next year.  I guess I've just been second guessing the Spirit and I know better than to do that. Yes, I do want to homeschool him starting 6th grade.  I don't think he can handle the environment and the pressure and I know there are other kids that will prey on him because he is just so innocent and wants friends.

I met with his teachers Monday and told them I wanted to be notified when there was homework because he really does not have a short term memory.  The counselor wasn't happy with that but the special ed teacher wrote into his IEP.

I have the BIG IEP meeting in one month.  When I've had two teachers say outloud that they are worried about him going into 6th grade I need to accept that as another answer to my prayers.

They may be so fed up with me by the end of the IEP meeting that they'll want me to take him out of the system.  I'm going after them not on the academic level but more on the protection level from bullying etc. and how they expect to protect him.  I'll probably leave the meeting without signing anything.  I do what to have this meeting just to have a "current" base as to where he is.

They metioned that he seemd happier right now. I told them that baseball season started and that he had two friends from church on his team.  When the counselor asked what postions he played I told her pitcher and outfielder - she couldn't believe it and almost said that was impossible since he didn't like attention on him.  I should have informed her that Heavenly Father gives these special children a wonderful talent that they can be great at and this is just one of his.

You're right that they are very sweet kids and I don't want to see that taken away and that is exactly what would happen. It is sink or swim.

I think I'm rambling here - sorry.  My husband is against me taking him out of school but I'm for it.  I don't know what he has against it other than that would mean I couldn't go back to work - and I wouldn't anyway - he needs to know where I am and that I can get him if needed.

We have a member of church that is a 4th grade teacher and she said she would be willing to help me.  She is tired of not being able to teach.  She said all she does is prep them for the tests. 

You're right I need to remember that I am his mother and take the plunge and not be so scared. 

Thanks for all your wisdom!

Sara

Starligh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 11:39am
Here's another idea for you. Check with the middle school principle. See if she would allow your son to go into school for elective classes like art, music, and computers, or whatever they have. This will allow you to homeschool him, and still let him be in a social situation with the other kids. My son Tyler is doing that now. It's been very beneficial. I bring him into school for his class each day, wait until he's done, and take him home to continue the school day. In a way, it's the best of both worlds.

Just an idea.

Jan
robdobsmom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 12:23pm

Jan that sounds like a really good idea.  He loves art and that would be great if he could go for art.  He loves all types of sports but I wouldn't want him in PE in middle school unless there were a couple of other kids from church in class with him but that probably wouldn't matter because very few of the kids get to take PE anyway.

How did you go about it?  I'm wondering if I should wait until after school is out - probably shouldn't discuss it in the IEP meeting.

But that way the would still get money from my son and that is what they want anyway.

They are having "transitional 6th grade" classes now. It is during their recess time once a week.  Robert's was last Friday and he came home rather upset. He said he was yelled at because he didn't know what the answer to 50x50 was.  I'm not sure if that really happened or if that was his perception.

I've emailed his special ed teacher and asked her if they discussed math.  If she doesn't know then I'm calling calling the middle school and asking for that particular teacher or principal and ask him what was discussed in the transition class. If it was math then I'm pretty sure I can believe my son and if that is the case he will not attend another transitional class.

Thanks for your ideas.  Keep them coming.

Sara

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic