Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com - The #1 Homeschooling Community
| More

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTeaching Kindness to preschoolers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
3under8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teaching Kindness to preschoolers
    Posted: 25/Jul/2006 at 4:29am
I am looking for materials to reinforce kindness in children.  Any ideas?

Veggie Tales is what everyone keeps suggesting, which is fine.  My kids haven't been that enthused by the characters, however.

For a holiday book, my friend just introduced me to a picturebook that  is positively adorable for entertaining and inspiring children to act kindly.  I liked it because it rhymes and has cute pictures which keep  my  little ones engaged and then it has a tear out certificate  so that children will want to  act kindly three times and  earn  it (you can personalize it and frame it).  The  thing I liked best is that the proceeds for the book go to  children's brain tumor research and that  offers me a wonderful way to talk to my children about  ways that you can give back, types of needs , how blessed we are, etc.  and then the website has a couple of ideas for kindness math and kindness journals which  are excellent concepts for preschoolers, probably up through grade 1 or 2.  She found the book at a craft fair, but it lists a website, www.spriitelee.com .

Thanks for any ideas!  
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jul/2006 at 10:15am
Constant, gentle correction and modeling do wonders.
Binny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jul/2006 at 10:27am
Well I did a little researching on this, and for preschool I have to say I didnt find anything overly impressive looking IMO.  Certainly agree with what Ellie said.  Also, I believe the bible shows the highest forms of kindness in the stories of Jesus.  Perhaps in your readings as you come up upon them, you can create your own lessons around it, then read that in your children's bible version with your kids and emphasis what you wish for them to get out of it?  Sorry I couldnt be of more help.
htmama67 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Jul/2006 at 7:56pm

If you have cable, you may want to check out some of the shows on PBS. Dragon Tales & the Berenstain Bears have themes like kindness, being a good friend, getting along with siblings, helping others, sharing, etc. The Berenstain Bears also have books, but I don't know if Dargon Tales does.

There's also a show done by the same people who make Veggie Tales. It's called 3-2-1 Penguins. It has religious themes (like Veggie Tales). It's about two children who are staying with their grandmother in England for the summer. Both my kids really enjoy it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic