Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do I homeschool my child with autism?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AllySp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I homeschool my child with autism?
    Posted: 03/Jan/2007 at 1:53pm

Hello everyone.  I am new to the forum.  My son is 15 years old and has autism.  He is currently in public school but he is not doing good there.  He has been pushed by other children and made to fall, he has been called a nitwit by a teachers aide and he saw one of the girls in his special ed classs being tackled down by another teacher because of her outburst and crying wanting to go home because she was sick but the teacher would not let her see the nurse.  MY son has been so upset by all of this that his blood pressure has gone up quite high and he had to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours.  He freaks out whenever I talk about him going to school or changing to any school.  He thinks they will hurt him too.  I've decided to homeschool him but I have no idea how to get started.  I have looked online and most of the curriculums are way out of my price range.  I've asked about helping my son get an aide to help him around school but the school says they cannot afford it because I thought about doing homeschool through the school system.  I know this will be another battle with the school system.  I want to go on my own and homeschool him but not sure how.  Does anyone know any affordable lesson plans that would be in a good price range?  I live in Texas if this helps any. 

Ally

cruncymom76 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Jan/2007 at 2:34pm
What a WONDERFUL decision for your son.  And by the way, Texas is one of the easiest states to homeschool in...If I were you, I would just google "autism homeschool" and see what comes up.
Cat05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2007 at 4:05am
Thank goodness you are getting him out of that school.  It sounds like a  a dreadful place.

I know nothing about hsing autistic kids, but one thing I do suggest is that you get a support system for yourself amongst other parents of autistic kids--if you haven't already.
Megans Mom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 6:19pm
Hey there, sorry about all you have been through! We went through pretty much the same thing. My daughter is Asperger Syndrome. We have been HS steady for 2 years but on and off for the first and K grade. But this is our final decision for us, unless something happens and I cant do it. We use Rod and Staff it is very affordable and very good my daughter does great with it. You can type in Rod and Staff and it will bring up alot but you can view samples at the anabaptist book store. You can also read reviews on it at home school reviews. com. We really like it. It is some what repetitive but not to bad. For us it is really great!! We start our days pretty much like public school maybe not as early. Good Luck you made the right choice by home schooling. I know our children have the right to a public school education but if they are being mistreated by the teachers what is the point?? And if they are not learning anything but punishment, its just really frustrating because they are supposed to help and be trained to help children. HMMMMM sorry but i have no faith in public school! Deanna
oohno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Feb/2007 at 7:28am

Hi Ally,  This is our 2nd yr hs'ing our son who is now 8 and has Asperger's.  He went to public school for 2 yrs for 1/2 day K and really hated.  He was totally overwhelmed and would often just "tune out" or disassociate, but b/c he wasn't a behavioral problem the school insisted he was "just fine". 

My son was in the Resource Room for 6hrs a week -this is 1/2 day K for the 2nd time- and still not making any but the smallest gains!  I knew at this point, he really wasn't benefiting from being there -either academically or socially. 

Last yr, I did some research on the net and at the library re: scope and sequence, state and national standards.  I wanted to acquaint myself with what is generally taught in his grade, but the beauty of hs is that your are free to make choices.   You would want to check out your state's laws about hs so you know what is required.   Also, there are many folks hs'ing kids with Autism so you aren't alone!  Check out some online groups for support, advice. 

Since he's left public school, I felt a tremendous relief!  My son has grown so much, but it's his social and emotional developmental gains that most impress me.  His social skills are pretty much on par with other kids now and he is *eager* to have peer relationships.  I have not done any special interventions here but I believe that removing the anxiety that public school generated really enabled him to grow!

I was very reluctant to committ to a commercial curriculum -I just imaged being trapped into something that wouldn't work for us- too much like public school!  I did get some books from the library about putting together your own curriculum for little or no money and just did that.  Actually, I ended up getting tons of stuff at Wal-Mart for under $10.  You can also check out teacher supply stores like Learning How (lots of selection but a bit more pricey).  I don't spend alot on anything, so if it doesn't work, I can chuck it.  Monica

Mom2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 11:55am
Monica,
It great to hear that your Autistic son has done
great at home. I have a 5 year old and he has done
great to. He is getting much better socially and is now
eager to have friends. For a kid who did not want any
kid's near him, he now asks for kids and friends.

I was told he owuld not make it at home and he is
proof that it can be done. I like to hear these
great things with the Autism because my whole family
thinks he wont grow at home.

He has done so well since his diagnosos, that I have
had people tell me, is that Daniel.

JJDESmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Apr/2007 at 9:05am

Ally, there are free lesson plans online just have to hunt a bit, I wouldnt leave my son in school if things were so awful for him , and for my sons things were bad, my oldest is Aspergers, and he was relentlessly bullied. He is now doing great at home with his two brothers, ADHD and ASD respectively, we have good days and not so good days, been hsing for 14 mos and all 3 boys have excelled beyond my dreams! Not easy everyday but definately rewarding and never doubt your ability. These kids almost teach themselves if you just let them choose what they want to study, you can always integrate math or science into virtually ANYTHING. No bells no bullies no hassles. I have to TELL my kids to take a break they love learning now. Its really fun if you let it be. I was never good with math but now im learning right along with them. and they all love to read, of course my autie boy mostly "pretends" to read, but hey thats the beginning of real "reading" anyway. I dont pressure them i dont "time" them. altho with my middle son he enjoyed "timed" readings for a bit and he did improve amazingly. Each child is different. Trust your instincts. If you feel hes languishing or worse "suffering" at pub school, then you know what you need to do.

just my opinion.

Mom2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Apr/2007 at 9:33am
I agree, on-line there are free lesson plan's
and you can type in grade level and find them.
Find out his intrest's and then use that for motivation
and study. I do that with my 5 year old Autistic son.

The library has alot. Start there see where it head's
and then if you feel you need more, research on-line.

I think you will find his intrest's will keep him
busy studying.

msgerto View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Sep/2007 at 6:00pm

My heart breaks for what you and your son have gone through!  My son is 9 and has Asperger's Syndrome.  We have been told by the child psychologist that we should try and keep him in public school for as long as possible.  Last year was the first year we were able to receive any significant services for our son and it made a huge difference.  But the other shoe had to drop and this wonderful school was closed and has now merged with another school to form a huge steril ineffective educating machine! 

Durring the transition of closing one school and merging with another the school didn't complete his IEP.  The only kind thing they did was place him with a teacher he knew and who has experience with Autism.  That's where it stops.  He is in a class of 4th and 5th graders not something I would agree to.  Although he is EXTREAMLY bright; socially he is at a 3rd grade level at best.  Additionally, due to his extream sensitivity to the flicker lights and any breeze he wears a hat almost 24 hours a day.  Even with a teacher who knows him he has not been alowed to wear his hat. 

The problems go on and on.  My husband and I are faced with the very real need to pull him from the public school and teach him at home.  My over whelming concern is continued access to services to teach him social skills and coping technics.  I just don't have that skill set!  And to make things even more complicated we really need to home school our 6th grader as well.  He does not have Autism but there is a litany of other issues with the schools inablity to provide any challenge or even variety with a ciriculum of three subjets. 

I don't think I'm unreasonable to expect that my children are placed in the appropriate enviornment, that they are challenged as well as nurtured.  I just think the school system is either unwilling on incapable of providing even the minimum standard of education.

Mom2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2007 at 3:16am
msgerto,
I read your response and I feel with the school system
they are uncapable. It also come's to that they have so
many children with different learning style's that come
through their system. They teach mostly only one way.

It is rare to find a teacher that understands this.
Then there is the case of rule's. There are to many.
The system feel's they must do thing's a certain way
and no other way.

It is sad because there are so many kid's. There are alot
that need certain help. The system is so overwhelmed that
there is not much that can be done. There are however
exceptions that you may find a little school that fit
the need of your child. However something always does
change and then you find that you are changing your
idea's.

When I saw here that the system here for my Autistic
son was not good at all. I researched different
things for social skills and coping technique's. He is
5 not as old as yours. I did alot of research and he
does great here. I used some neat ideas I came across
and it worked. Socially he does wonderful.

My youngest is very bright and he is jumping leaps
and bounds way beyond his age level. The system here
would not change his grade or do other things for that.
He is home to and I feel he will do better here. He can
go as fast or slow as he want's. If I put him in school
it would be to easy.

This is just an example and we do have the right to
expect that our kid's get the right education or
be placed int he appropriate environment. In my searches
though I am finding that it is not available out in the
system. This is sad.

I feel your frustration because it was mine. I would encourage you even if you feel you dont have some thing's
yet you can do with your son, try homeschooling him.
Then do your research and go from there.

This is what I did and I am not regretting it at all.

busyhouse
Mom2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2007 at 3:20am
allsp,
Another idea is take what he is interested in and
write a unit study for him. You can get info. on line
about that to. They worked great form my autistic son.
How are you making out. Hope you have found something.

busyhouse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic