Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com - The #1 Homeschooling Community
| More

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcurriculum suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mousetower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Feb/2007 at 5:02pm

I homeschool because even though the public school district we are in is the best in the city, even though I could get DS placed with friends in the class, even though I really would love a bit of a break from my kids (been snowed in for 3 days now- with kids with chest colds) I don't like that the school system doesn't give me as a parent the respect I deserve.

My son misses the cut off for K by a month and to test in you have to score 90% as in ready for 1st grade. Also because my son has a speech problem, which he has an ISP for, he wouldn't have his speech teacher there for his testing, just whoever was in the building. And finally a school day that is 9-3 is too long (as noted before) for little guys, they need time to play and explore.

Most of all, I didn't put him in daycare because I wanted to miss out on his baby things, why would I put him in regular school and miss out on his kid things.

MIa

Mia

cruncymom76 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Feb/2007 at 7:54pm

I feel like this too. *I* want to be the one to raise my kids and see all their triumphs!!! :)  I love being with my kids...It really is a blast.  So many parents are missing out, in my opinion.

Originally posted by mousetower mousetower wrote:

I homeschool because even though the public school district we are in is the best in the city, even though I could get DS placed with friends in the class, even though I really would love a bit of a break from my kids (been snowed in for 3 days now- with kids with chest colds) I don't like that the school system doesn't give me as a parent the respect I deserve.

My son misses the cut off for K by a month and to test in you have to score 90% as in ready for 1st grade. Also because my son has a speech problem, which he has an ISP for, he wouldn't have his speech teacher there for his testing, just whoever was in the building. And finally a school day that is 9-3 is too long (as noted before) for little guys, they need time to play and explore.

Most of all, I didn't put him in daycare because I wanted to miss out on his baby things, why would I put him in regular school and miss out on his kid things.

MIa

Mia

kellys3ps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Feb/2007 at 9:52pm

Here are some free lesson plans:

http://homeschoolingk.blogspot.com/

justcardi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Feb/2007 at 5:26am

Yes, Cat05, I like time4learning.com.  I no longer use it, but I still think it is a great program for someone who wants a full curriculum.  We unschool mostly and I just wanted a math curriculum for my 6 and 10yo's (3rd grade and 5/6th grade levels).  Time4learning has a fun math curriculum.  The other subjects are great, too, and they start you off with just a few subjects and topics in each subjects and slowly add in the rest as you progress through grade levels.  It doesn't take long to complete the assignments and it provides worksheets for extra practice and ideas to further explore the topic if you wish.  I recommend checking it out for yourself.  You get to try it for 2 weeks free and that should be enough to see if you like it.  Also, if you decide after 2 or 3 months that you need a break, you can put your account on dormant for a significantly reduced price ($4/month) or you can cancel anytime. 

I definately recommend the Scholastic News Let's Find Out for preschoolers/Kindergarteners.  They are fun and a lesson plan in itself.  Note the prices on the website are for teachers who order 20 +copies.  You will pay about $8/year for it (includes teachers edition), but it's worth it. 

Cardella

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Feb/2007 at 5:44am
I didn't know about that magazine. Thanks!
RollingAlaskans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Feb/2007 at 9:34am

I homeschool our K & 2 graders. Something to keep in mind, just because your child has done the curriculum does not mean they will be recognised at that grade level by the school district.  What I am saying, starting your child early and going through 3 or 4 successful years of homeschooling, the district may very well put your child in the grade corresponding to their age if you decide to go back to public education.

We use the Calvert curriculum and like it very much although we don't follow all aspects of it.  It is expensive if you can't find it second hand.  We supplement with the schoolzone workbooks and I like those very much.  Also, I have to strongly recommend the cuisenaire rods, they are great. 

I think the key is to find out what your state's requirements are for each grade level and ensure whatever you are doing covers that.  Here's a link (that I hope works) that gives an example of what you need to cover for elementary school: http://www.intidea.org/curriculum/curriculum.htm

Hope that helps.

Ali

Edited by RollingAlaskans
Raejay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Feb/2007 at 11:46am
Hi, I sell Avon, and while Avon doesnt sell a set "curriculum," per say, they do sell things that could supplement a preschooler's lessons; they have activity books and lots of "Dora the Explorer" stuff.  If you dont have an "Avon lady," I could mail you a brochure or you could log on to www.youravon.com or call 1-800-FORAVON to find a rep.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Feb/2007 at 11:53am

Speaking of this, I've been wondering if we could have a forum here at Homeschool.com for our members to share their homeschool related business info. Thoughts?  I sell Usborne Books.

Originally posted by Raejay Raejay wrote:

Hi, I sell Avon, and while Avon doesnt sell a set "curriculum," per say, they do sell things that could supplement a preschooler's lessons; they have activity books and lots of "Dora the Explorer" stuff.  If you dont have an "Avon lady," I could mail you a brochure or you could log on to www.youravon.com or call 1-800-FORAVON to find a rep.

Real World View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Mar/2007 at 11:58am
Check out: thefutureschannel.com

It's a free site with professional, engaging movies that show kids how math and science are used in the real world.  Plus, every movie is accompanied by hands-on activities and lessons.

2angels View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2007 at 8:42am
  Has anyone tried Calvert? How did you like it?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2007 at 9:45am
My neighbor loves it but it's too structured for my taste.
nicolemom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Apr/2007 at 9:07pm
For science, you might try The Leaping Sliding Sprtinting Jumping Science Book. Fun activities that gets the kids moving adn thinking
sweethomeschool View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2007 at 8:05pm
[QUOTE=2angels]

Hello,

I am new to this.  I am thinking about homeschooling my 4yr old and am looking for a curriculum to follow. 

Please disregard this post and see the next. I goofed to post it.

Edited by sweethomeschool
sweethomeschool View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2007 at 8:08pm
[QUOTE=2angels]

Hello,

I am new to this.  I am thinking about homeschooling my 4yr old and am looking for a curriculum to follow.

Highly recommend www.time4learning.com. It is complete curriculum K-12, animated from PreK to Grade 3. My daughter loves it. We started it at 4 also.
theresad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/May/2007 at 5:42am
you should check  homeschoolreviews.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic