Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I force him to read chapter books?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
singingmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I force him to read chapter books?
    Posted: 12/Apr/2007 at 2:52pm
Hi all.
I'm not new to HS'ing, but I'm new here.  We have a 10yo boy, 4th grade who LOVES!! to sit and look @ books with pictures, read captions, comics, and is a great reader...He will sit for over an hour and read his magazines [National Geo. Kids,  etc] but when I put a fun chapter book in front of him, he looses interest...

He was just tested, and he was reading above grade level... 5th grade.. his comprehension is just fine...

We use a bunch of different curriculum [Abeka, spelling power, Lessons in history, Bob Jones, etc], and he has excelled in everything since preschool. We tried to do Beyond Five in a Row last year, but it wasn't Him.. He just has no interest in chapter books, and forget the "little kids' picture books! " LOL  He's a "guy" now...

So... Should I force him to read chapter books?  Or, should I let him read what he wants?  If I let him read what he wants, will I ruin him ??  UGH! 

Thanks for all your help!

:o)
Melissa

!-- var SymRealOnLoad; var SymRealOnUnload; function SymOnUnload() { window.open = SymWinOpen; if(SymRealOnUnload != null) SymRealOnUnload(); } function SymOnLoad() { if(SymRealOnLoad != null) SymRealOnLoad(); window.open = SymRealWinOpen; SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload; window.onunload = SymOnUnload; } SymRealOnLoad = window.onload; window.onload = SymOnLoad; //-->
Cat05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2007 at 3:33pm
Try to get some books along the lines of his interests.  Any reading is better than no reading.

Have you tried him on Verne and HG Wells?  If he's into science he might like their stories.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2007 at 4:28pm
We've tried everything from hockey, to science, and fictional history.. I guess I'll just be an example, and eventually, he'll catch  on... Maybe it's just an immaturity issue right now.. :o)

I read to him, and we get the books on cd all the time, so, he's not starved of literature. We're listening to "Wind in the Willows" right now.. and he's hooked.

Thanks so much for your input!
ScottHughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottHughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 5:53am
I would recommend that you don't force him to read chapter books, but try to persuade him to read them. If you force him, you may turn him off from reading by making it seem like a chore.
mom of a ton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom of a ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Apr/2007 at 12:50pm

DO NOT FORCE HIM!!!! He is reading. What he reads is interesting to him and he likes reading it. If you force him to read chapter books he will end up with a bad opinion of chapter books. Maybe he will decided to read them some time, but right now leave him be.

Unschool mom of 7 great kids.

mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2007 at 5:20pm
I  also say do not force your son to read chapter books, any reading material is better than none at all
BeenThere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeenThere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2007 at 10:34pm
    I am also not new to homeschooling but brand new to the whole forum thing.   I homeschooled my son from the 2nd grade. When he was seven he did not read at all.  He liked picture books and he loved being read to.  We happened upon a series of books which peaked his interest.  With the 2nd book in the series (chapter books), I bought the audio tape to listen to while looking at the book.  I also bought the audio of the first book.  He listened to them both and read along.  By the third book in the series he was reading on his own.  I think children will read what they find interesting.  If you have a lot of different books and magazines around something will click and he'll be off and reading.  Best of luck.  My son turned 18 last month and finished his first year of college with honors.  Have faith in yourself and your boy.
o&lsmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote o&lsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2007 at 7:56pm
My ds is almost seven and can read but will not do it for others. He also prefers to look at books and mags with pictures. I think part is immaturity and part is physical development. My ds is very active outdoors,so his fine motor skills are a bit lagging and that includes his eyes. I understand this is not uncommon. I just try to encourage him by having lots of good reading material around in many different levels. I have read many stories, on this forum, from unschoolers esp who have had reluctant readers that just suddenly got into reading because they set them up to find it themselves, by having lots of interesting books around the house. My son has a bookshelf full of wonderful stuff. He'll get it when he's ready and then I won't be able to stop him even if I wanted to.
teensmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teensmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Sep/2007 at 6:20pm
My son has trouble with reading, but he loves stories. We finally got into
books on CD and wow! what a difference! His reading has improved
dramaticaly and he no longer stays away from books. He will actually pick up
a book and read it on his own.
Maturity is really a factor too, so let him come onto it on his own. But the
books on CD will expose him to the literature you want him to read without
struggling with him.

Holiday For Everyday

Edited by teensmom
steph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Oct/2007 at 11:17am
My advice would be to help him find chapter books that he actually WANTS to read.  For example, my nine year old has recently become interested in WW2 aircraft, weapons, etc. He started out by reading books specifically for kids, which have a lot of pictures but not much detail.  His curiosity drew him to WW2 picture books for adults which are packed with information and photographs.  I started bringing home non-fiction books from the library about events, battles, and people in WW2 (ostensibly for myself) which I read, then left laying all over the place.  Guess what? He couldn't resist!

I think the idea of reading 'chapter-books' is an learning checkpoint in educationese that was created to make sure that kids could graduate from high school able to read more than Dick and Sally or If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.  If you are homeschooling, you don't need to trouble yourself with artificial distinctions like these. 

It sounds like your son already enjoys reading, so just introduce him to more complicated forms of the information he wants and you will be blown away by what he can read and understand when he is driven by his own curiosity.  (After years of having babies about, I absolutely LOVE it when my kids tell me something that I didn't know. My kids are interesting people?! Amazing!)
Topolino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 9:12pm

I wasn't a good reader when I was little so my first grade teacher told my mom to ge me to read anything out loud as often as she could.  That lead to our reading sessions before bed where she would read a page and then I would read a page and she wouldn't read until I read the page.  I loved to listen to my mom read she was so animated.  I remember reading the Hobbit with her when I was 10 or 11 and I would end up reading 4 pages instead of one b/c I loved the book.  Since then I am a bookworm. 

It will really help just to let him get comfortable reading chapter books that he finds interesting.  There was a wonderful lady at my bookstore when I was a kid who knew what I liked to read and she would just start pulling books off the shelf and handing them to me to go threw and I would pick the ones that really sounded good.  It might help to get to know someone from a small bookshop or library. 

Edited by Topolino
RLPLUS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLPLUS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Oct/2007 at 8:40am

Hi. I am new 2 homeschooling. I feel reading is extremely important, and i enjoying reading.My son is not so fond.LOL He is 11 and chapter books are of zero interest to him.I agree with the oters... do not force the chapter books. If your child is reading and doing well stick to what is working. May i also suggest, getting chapter books with smaller chapters. perhaps u could choose one  u think would interest him.Try that ,if still not responsive, let it go for awhile then try again. Something that works 4 us (Occasionally LOL) is... we will get the book then watch the movie. My son enjoys comparing 2 see which he liked best.You know your child best. Go with what works 4 ur child and don't be afraid 2 try new things. Best wishes. Hope this helps.

WenApp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WenApp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Oct/2007 at 9:04am
My 11 year old son is the same way. We went to the library every week. I let him pick out the books he wanted. He always picked out younger books not chapter books. I don't force him. I let him read what he wants. I think he reads well enough. I also think the importance of chapter books is a public school thing. He enjoys looking through the newspaper. He doesn't read every bit. Just what interests him. I think an active young boy who loves to play outside doesn't want to spend the time on a chapter book. I agree with the idea of shorter chapters also. They just don't enjoy sitting down and reading for hours.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Oct/2007 at 10:30am
Well, since my post, our son is well on his way to reading chapter books. THANK YOU ALL for your posts..   He found a friend reading "Spyderwick Chronicles" ... his friend told him all about it.. how fascinating it was and that he should get it from the library. Well, we started volume 1 and we just finished book 5... We're going to go today and get the next volume that came out on Sept 16...

It's a great series.  It's fantasy, but not with wizardry or spells.. I avoid that when I can... but it's a nice fairy tale / fantasy book on different creatures and a very imaginative story line. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd share with you all that we're reading... and now I have to TRY to get him away from the books to do his chores. LOL

Happy Homeschooling!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Oct/2007 at 10:33am
Oh, I forgot to say this...

While we do our seperate reading in school, I never drill or test him in his own leisure reading. I leave that for fun and relaxation.  That makes him to want to read even more.

Thanks mom of a ton  for your tip  !!

cruncymom76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruncymom76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Oct/2007 at 10:14pm
Sounds like things are going great!
RLPLUS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLPLUS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Oct/2007 at 6:51am
Glad 2 hear the good news. keep us posted. Have a great day!
Shari Nielsen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shari Nielsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Mar/2008 at 6:39am
I would make a deal w/ him to encourage him to read some chapter books.  Have him pick out a book that he is interested in and then let him work w/ you to set goals and a reward that he can earn when he reaches these goals.  Sometimes tackling an entire chapter book at once may seem intimidating.

Pam R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 2:28pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this message board but after reading through these posts thought i would share some dvd's with you that i have recently purchased for my child and they really loved.

My 5 year old son has a lot of trouble focusing, esecially reading and i needed another form of learning to teach him about past historical figures. I recently came across this 12-pack of dvd's from nestlearning.com and my son has not stopped watching them! Their all animated and stick to the exact story with Christopher Columbus, Marie Curie, Abraham Lincoln and many more.

I would recommend these to anyone now and thought i would share them here as well!

http://www.nestlearning.com/hero-classics-12-dvd-package_p43 086.aspx

The DVD's have just been put on 44% off....such a great deal!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic