Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSon takes too long to do work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bandb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Son takes too long to do work
    Posted: 25/Apr/2007 at 9:40am
I need help. My son has always taken too much time to do his work and it is driving me nuts. Even when he was in public school, he took so long to do is homework he had to quit football one year because he couldn't get to practice because he wasn't finished with his homework.

He is 11 years old and in the 5th grade.I am at my witts end. He doesn't care. He is messy with his work. Today, it took him 2 hours to do 6 fraction problems (he has been doing fractions for a month or so now). AND, he got 4 of them wrong. He does struggle in math but he is also lazy. What should I do when I have a child, if he doesn't change his ways, will not go anywhere in life. Please pray for us. I am seriously considering sending him back to PS.

HELP! Anita

Yes, I am venting. He is a good kid but lazy.   
MUMOF4CUTIES View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2007 at 8:42pm
Hi Anita dont worry prayers are coming your way just be patient and it will get better ...try something diff. like a game outside that you could envolve the fractions in or start cooking men can cook too lol or try having a serious talk and see if he just really doesnt get it and if he doesnt then take it slower than normal and little bit at a time but if he does get it and is really just being lazy then try a more stern approach...some might disagree with me on this but they have to learn certain things so we have to as parents let our kids know what we will expect and wont ...Hope this is helpful to you and please for anyone who reads this i am writing this with a good heart and dont mean to offend anyone
God Bless Katrina
b&p's mom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Apr/2007 at 7:30pm
Have you tried giving him his work for the day first thing...and then telling him that when he is done it's time for a bike ride (or a trip to the zoo, museum, library, mini golf, bowling, or whatever else he finds fun).  That way it's his choice to spend all day doddling or get done and have some fun.
YouMeUs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 4:54am
Originally posted by b&p's mom b&p's mom wrote:

Have you tried giving him his work for the day first thing...and then telling him that when he is done it's time for a bike ride (or a trip to the zoo, museum, library, mini golf, bowling, or whatever else he finds fun).  That way it's his choice to spend all day doddling or get done and have some fun.

I too am dealing with a pokey 10 y/o when it comes to math.  It absolutely drives me insane.  However, B&P's suggestion is the only thing that has worked....some of the time.  Well, short of ditching the subject all together, but I'm not going down that road.

Good luck to you.
lizzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/May/2007 at 7:34pm
I just read this - haven't been on much lately.

I am so-o-o empathetic.  This is a picture of my eldest.  He can't seem to get through anything in a reasonable amt. of time.  I have tried rewards, punishments, he drives me nuts.
However, he is sweet, thoughtful, gentle with his siblings.  A friend of mine said her first two went through the same thing until they were 12 -13.  Then something "clicked" and they do their work without the constant battle.
She told me to model good behavior, good work ethics and patience.  He'll come around.  Also, pray, pray, pray.  There is nothing more powerful.
Lizzy
Annie A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Jul/2007 at 4:56am
Praying works wonders. So does eating right. I switched one of mine from cereal to toast, juice and an egg in the morning, then a brisk activity like a walk or stair climbing, then eased him into his math first thing. We did much better. Watch out for boredom. Home as in the school system, not enough challenge can make their mind shut off. Keep smiling. Frustration only breeds contempt.
mom of 2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jul/2007 at 11:58am
My daughter is the same way. She is quick to do art(she loves and does very well) and to read about wildlife or go outside to explore nature,but with Math and english you would think I told her she had to get a few teeth pulled today. Then she takes Forever to get it done. She gets fractions and understands how to do it,she saids it's boring to her. I am now trying an unschooling approach as much as possible with the math thing. We us measureing cups,we play uno,monopoly,she is counting change she finds to figure out how much she needs to get this special thing,including tax. She helps at the grocery,weighing and caculating(in her mind) how much it will all cost. Gave her a measuring tape and she has measured boards dad has in the garage to build special projects with,etc. We do still do worksheets,but not everyday and not every single problem. That has seemed to help,but I also stressed to her that lazyness is not a Godly character she wants to form,that it will be very hard to get rid of and cost her alot of free time if it continues. Hope that helps.
luan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jul/2007 at 1:19pm

bandb,

Have you tried working with your son? Making fractions a game... there are also some great computer games teaching fractions.

luan

Giovannizero View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Aug/2007 at 12:42pm
I've always just done shock therapy when kids get out of line :p

::ducks::
aliveinchrist97 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jul/2008 at 3:14pm
Hi, hmm, how long has your son been homeschooling? when my oldest
first started he really fought, it took a few months for him to get into
gear. Math is the subject he does now first thing in the morning, he gets
to do nothing until his work is done. He know that if he has plans and his
work is not done then he cannot go. We have a Friday fieldtrip day that is
based on work completed for the week. I also have a merit/demerit
system and it works wonderfully!! He can see right on the wall where he is
at for the week. I can't afford to do something everyday and we have
things that we do during the week for church and other things so daily
rewards don't always work. This also helps him to be patient and have to
work to a longer goal, which is instrumental! We also have a chart of
chores that pay money that he can work for in his free time, he likes to
earn the money and I like to get things done;)   so it works for everyone!
If grades slip then he does not get to do extracurricular activities....plain
and simple:) I mean, when they get to college no one is going to hold
their hand or tell them it is ok to not do the math problems because they
are boring or the writing assignment is not interesting........The key with
my kids is being constant and that they know what is expected of them. I
also find that praying with my son when he seems to be struggling seems
to motivate him:) God can move mountains, why not my son;) God bless
and have a wonderful week:)

God is loving but we have to do our work and do it with a grateful heart,
that is what I try to teach my kids. Even God has expectations;)
findingmyway View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jul/2008 at 6:09pm
There is a book The Myth of Laziness that may be helpful. It explores why people resist things instead of labeling them lazy. It may help you get to the root of the problem. Sorry, can't remember the author's name.
CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Jul/2008 at 9:35am
I know this is an old post (April), but I'm going to reply anyway.

This sounds very, VERY much like a mismatch of either Personality Type or Learning Style (or both).  In other words, the style and presentation being used is not suited to his learning style or personality.

We, as parents/teachers, have a tendency to try to force what works for us onto our kids.  And we do this even when it becomes patently obvious that it isn't working.

The good news is that it isn't too hard to change things.  The first step is realizing that the methods being used have to be suited to THEM - not us.  

The second step is figuring out what is best suited to them.  For this, I recommend 3 books:

Personality Plus by Florence Littauer
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
How They Learn by Cynthia Tobias

HomeschoolAK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Sep/2008 at 4:08pm

Ok its been a few months since someone posted here, but this one hits home for me and I jsut read it for the first time.

My 6 yr old son had this same problem and still does. Math and English were very frusterating for both of us. Then this summer I found out a few things. One is that he has Dyslexia, this is why English is so frustrating. Since this I have modified the way I teach and this has helped. The secound thing is that I realized that he does not have very good fine motorskills. He grips his pencil very tight that he often brakes them. So anything dealing with writing is very difficult for him. Since this realisation I have began to include activities that help develop fine motor skills as well as teach lessons. Play dough is one fo the best things I found for this. I have him flatten the play dough in a cookie sheet and use a homemade sharpened stick about 1/2 inch diameter to draw pictures and write nembers and letters. I also roll it into a ball with dried beans in the middle and he has to "find the treasure". For now I also do less writing for math and do more flash cards or verbal quizes. I found that he knows math, just hated writing.

Good luck, let me know if these help you.

Renae

sapphire68 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Dec/2008 at 9:16am

Originally posted by luan luan wrote:

Have you tried working with your son? Making fractions a game... there are also some great computer games teaching fractions
ditto this.

Your son may not be lazy at all. He may be BORED!  Try changing it up a bit. And if you've started homeschooling within the last 6 months then give it some time. My kids have gone through bouts of being slow at some things and faster at others. If they get that way I usually give them a break in whatever it is that they are lagging on and we go back to it later.

For instance, my 1st grader was getting tired of doing adding/subtracting so I changed to doing measuring and graphs with her, which she is totally loving! We will go back to the subtraction in January. That's the best part about homeschooling. They don't HAVE to do anything in any certain amount of time.

Edited by sapphire68
mom of 2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Jan/2009 at 4:34pm

Okay Survivor,I can tell you must of hated school and had a really rough homelife.  Prayer does work,so I will pray for you now.

I love "unschooling" because you can change and let whatever works work. I would just switch things around and make it as fun as possible. Keep us posted!

CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Jan/2009 at 8:39am
Moderator note:  "Suvivor" is having all of his posts deleted and his account is banned.
Leah C. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Jan/2009 at 1:28pm
Thank you, Chris!
mom of 2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Jan/2009 at 4:09pm
 SOOO GLAD!!!!!
HomeschoolKatie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Jan/2009 at 8:42pm
Hi Chris--This is Katie--I deleted Survivor yesterday and received a nasty email from him/her and now he/she is trying to post again--Sorry to all of you who have to see that. They obviously have way too much time on their hands. We'll try to keep in under wraps.
Chinesekid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Apr/2009 at 1:21am

hello there, If your son is struggling with keeping up then it might be due to a problem such as dyslexia which is quite common. You should get him checked for that. Also try different methods to train your son, use more experiential methods.  

mom of 2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Apr/2009 at 6:01am
Hows he doing? Have'nt heard from you in a while. An update?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic