Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com - The #1 Homeschooling Community
| More

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeautiful Feet History/Literature for HS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beautiful Feet History/Literature for HS
    Posted: 17/Jun/2007 at 5:20pm
Does anyone use the Beautiful Feet Highschool material?  My daughter and I are so excited to use it, but someone told me that it really doesn't have enough literature.  That really disappointed me, but I thought that perhaps she is wrong.  Any suggestions?  How will I know that it will be accepted by colleges?  K
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jun/2007 at 2:18pm

None of the Beautiful Feet Books study guides can be counted as "literature." They are all history; they just use good literature instead of textbooks (even if a textbook is used as a resource).

If you like the way BFB does history, go ahead and use it. But you will need to use something different for English. At the high school level, it is expected that each year of English will include composition and literature (and grammar, if needed).

Most colleges (not all--you have to verify with the colleges to which your dd apply) only want transcripts, not course descriptions or a list of materials used. IOW, in most cases, colleges will not know that you used a BFB study guide for history (they won't even know what "Beautiful Feet Books" is), so you don't need to worry about whether or not a college will "accept" it.

kaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jun/2007 at 6:06pm

I just talked with the folks at Beautiful Feet and they assured me that yes, I will get a 1/2 Literature credith for the 9th grade. And 2 Literature credits for 11-12th.

I'm just curious how you arrived at your answer.  I mean no dis-respect, I'd really like to know.  Thanks, K

myhsplace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Jun/2007 at 11:04am

Not enough literature??????? hmmm don't know who told ya that but basically it is a literature based program... maybe not literature in the public school view perhaps but hmmm I've seen some of the literature reading their doing and hmmm no thank u..

We have/used BF and LOVE all the genevieve foster books they use and yes it is history based but so what.. The program still has "literature connection" sections throughout the program.. For example Prince and the pauper by mark twain and tales of two cities by charles dickens are just two of the many literature readings to be done, now if that is not LITERATURE I don't know what is :-)

I would get a good poetry book though to add to it and maybe extra copies of the reading books cause you WILL end up wanting to follow the program yourself LOL...

Edited by myhsplace
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic