Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Beka question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scook63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Beka question
    Posted: 13/Jul/2007 at 7:45am

I really like what I've seen of the A Beka program, but do you have to have all of the books listed for each subject?  Space is at a premium living overseas in England ( as well as weight for when we move).  Any input on if it's possible or even feasible would be great!

Thanks,   Susan

Set-Apart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Jul/2007 at 8:44pm

I don't buy curriculum kits.  I order what I think I need.  I used Abeka for preschool last year and didn't have any teacers editions.  This year I'm using some things.  I ordered the math for my 3rd and 5th graders, but I didn't order the teachers editions. 

This year for my 3rd and 5th grader we are using:

S.O.S for Science, Soc. Studies, and Language Arts

Bob Jones for Handwriting and Bible (no T.E.)

Abeka for Math, and Art. (no T.E.)

scook63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Jul/2007 at 12:36am

Thanks Raven,

I think I still struggle with the  "Am I doing enough?/Am I doing it right?" questions that I tend to want to go overboard instead of just relaxing and enjoying this.

Susan

Annie A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jul/2007 at 5:05am
I have used ABeka for 20 years but I supplement it with a lot of other stuff as we go along. The main books I own from ABeka are the science texts, some readers for each grade, math texts(and after grade 5 the math answer keys)language arts texts and work books, health,safety and manners books, history texts. These have all been a great help but I haven't needed all the workbooks, homework, tests, etc that are additional. I like using those cheap little scribblers with the map on the front you can buy in any store. I don't care for workbooks too much since I prefer to have them write out things in complete sentences rather than fill in the blanks. The language workbooks however, are helpful. Be creative. Let your own instincts serve you well and look around for stuff that suits you and yours. If you closely adhere to a curriculum to the point where it ties you down, they might as well be in school.:) Have FUN.
scook63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jul/2007 at 7:37am

Thanks Annie.  We're still kind of playing  "catch up" from the public school years, not always sure where to go with things.  I was thinking of A Beka for history, language arts, some unit studies for science and Math U See.  I also found a Thanksgiving and Christmas unit from Amanda Bennett....although our local library doesn't carry hardly any of the books listed in those!  LOL!  Most of the homeschool families I know seem to be fairly rigid with their schedules and curriculums, and while my kids DO need structure for math and language, I really want us to enjoy this time together.  Ever done any notebooking?  I've read about it, not ever spoken with anyone who has done it, but it looked like it might be a good asset to our unit studies.

Thanks again!

Annie A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 3:21am
I have done our own version of notebooking. We buy most of our supplies at dollarama. They have scrapbook kits sometimes and lots of scrapbooks. Our youngest two boys are six and eight and they have done science notebooks or themed notebooks from time to time. (Summer vacation notebooks, trip notebooks, etc.) Our older 5 did the same sort of thing. It depends a lot on the children. Our one daughter loved it while the other did not. Our older boys were not as enthusiastic about them as our younger ones but we had them do 4 reports each year on subject of choice.
chas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jul/2007 at 6:17pm

The great thing about Homeschooling is that you can use basically whatever curric you have on hand, can piece together, you can customize your own  or you can buy the entire set of a boxed set if you like. 

If this is your first year I can see why you would feel the need to not leave anything out.  After they h's a while most people relax a little as they find what works best for their child.  I used Abeka for my first son in K.  I bought my stuff off ebay and pieced together what I had.  I did have a few of the teacher's manuals (totally un-neccessary since all it was was an answer key and most grown ups know what sound A makes and how much 3+3 is:)  Abeka was geared for a Christian school classroom so there is a TON of busy work.  We skipped a lot of pages if I felt that he had mastered something already.   I know in the lower grades there are number and letter practice books, etc.  You don't really need those extras.  You can always use just a regular pad to practice on or print off your own sheets. I haven't looked at an Abeka catalog in a while so I can't remember what all they do sell as extras.  There are posters, games, etc. in the lower grades.  My son did like the K games.  

As long as you are getting the basics in somehow don't worry too much about it.  Some people don't use a "curriculum" at all.  The unit studies are neat and we are planning to do a notebook or two this year for geography and AL history.  We tried to do a couple of lapbooks but we tend to not finish them.  Our state history walks you through making a notebook so I am going to try to pattern after that and do a 50 states one also.

We moved on to something different in first grade (and actually something different every year:) I really didn't like the readers that well and so we spent LOTS of time checking out books that year.  There are a LOT of readers with Abeka (that do have a good message and are wholesome) and they can get very expensive to purchase separately.  If you like the Christian aspect of the readers but don't have much space for extras try Bob Jones' reading curric.  I used it last year for 3rd grade and my son (who doesn't like readers) really liked it.  I got mine free at our homeschool library and just had to purchase the worktext but you can get the sets on ebay still.  I keep seeing teacher's editions on there even though supposedly they are not supposed to sell them there.

I just signed up for www.edhelper.com it's only $19.95 per year and has TONS of stuff to use for all subjects.  I'm going to use it for spelling, handwriting, and some reading.  They have some free samples you can try.  They have a lot of biographies and stories with reading comprehension quizes if you don't feel that you need Christian based books.  You can customize lots of your own printables.  You can even make word searches in the shape of the state that you are studying.  They have facts about each state so we are going to use it for our state notebook/s.

Try to relax and not think you have to buy EVERYTHING in the catalog LOL!

Oh yeah, there are yahoo groups where you can learn more about notebooking. 

HTH

Chastidy

scook63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Jul/2007 at 5:06am

I love edhelper!  I also really liked enchanted learning, same price, lots of good stuff for when we did the States.    But it's good to know that the A Beka is loaded with more than we can do....now I won't stress when I see the amount when my books get here! 

stephanieh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Aug/2007 at 2:14am

We are in England as well. We are doing K4/K5 Abeka along with some hooked on phonics I picked up at the BX for $10!!

The reason is that I know my son will be ready for first grade next year in everything except language arts. Language arts is the basis of all learning so I really need to get him going on it! I have heard from others as well as online reviews that A beka is one of the best if not the best language programs, so that is what we are going with.

I olny plan on buying the child kits (as they are offering 10% off right now) if that.  I know I don't need answer keys for kindergarten work, and we won't be following the lesson plan this year anyway so I don't need that either.

If you go to the A Beka Book Online Order Form you can enter the SBN codes from the catalog and they will show you the cover or eachthing and many have samples you can look at as well. SO that may also help you decide what you do and don't want ot buy!

aliveinchrist97 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jul/2008 at 3:00pm
Hi, let me just throw this out there.........I used A Beka when I
homeschooled, I graduated from A Beka as well. It was a wonderful
experience but they have a lot of books that are needed especially with
the middle school and highschool grades. I switched to the Lighthouse
Academy or A.C.E. program. Each textbook is broken down into smaller
workbooks that include the needed reading material, check-ups and self
test/final testing. So you eliminate the need for many bulky books! It is
also a self taught program so the kids are learning to set their own goals
for each day and they can see exactly where they are in each subject and
what they need to work on! My son loves it, he likes that he has some
control over his schooling and this also helps with time management as
they get older and closer to college. It is not for all children, but nothing
is a one-size-fits-all! Take a look at www.lcaed.com   I am not
advertising but I have had a wonderful time with this program:) you
either go through the Lighthouse Academy or just order their curriculum,
which is what I would do until they need transcripts.......just an idea!   
have a great and blessed week!

God bless.............
sj11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jul/2008 at 1:54pm
That is indeed one of the best parts of homeschooling. You can pick what you want from where you want.  We have a lot of luck picking stuff up from eBay, Half.com, or Amazon. 

This year we're making a big jump to "classical," so we'll see what's available this year.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic