Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedneed help Asap! 6th & 9th grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help Asap! 6th & 9th grader
    Posted: 25/Jul/2007 at 12:30pm
Please help!

I have a question. I am a single 38 year old full-time working mom with a 6th & 9th grader. I feel very strongly about not putting them in the public school systems for moral reasons, etc. However, I can't afford christian school either, even with scholorships it still costs about $4,000 to send (2) kids.

Last year my 8th grader did the ABEKA DVD program. It was very challenging by the end of the year. I could barely help her anymore. Even though I completed school and got a diploma myself.

Can you help, I am looking for a curriculum a little less challenging, but yet something like a DVD format that is easy for the kids to grasp, so I can basically let the DVD do the teaching and I grade and help. With (2) kids this will still take alot of time on my part. Unless, there is a program that is easy enough to teach the children. Please advise. A deperate mom in Virginia.    

PS I have heard of the SOS program from Alpha/Omega but don't know much about it..
MHALL10 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Aug/2007 at 9:01am

I have not used the curriculum but Bob Jones also offers a DVD based program.

Also, there are distance learning programs such a Florida Virtual School.  For some states, Florida Virtual School is free and for others there is a fee.  They offer a wide range of couses, but it is considered "public" and so there is not a Christian influence.  My middle school daughter is currently taking Keyboarding and Art with Florida Virtual and so far I like the program.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Aug/2007 at 9:46am
HI I WORK FULL TIME HOW DOES YOUR SCHEDULE WORK FOR YOUR TIME TO TEACH OR CORRECT THEIR WORK
dove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Aug/2007 at 9:57am
I grade their work after supper, and help them then. Usually it is around midnight before I get to bed. It is a sacrifice but, I hope it pays off.

Hope this helps.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Aug/2007 at 10:03am
IF YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING I WORRY ABOUT MY SON SOCIALING I HOMESCHOOLED HIM HIS 7TH GRADE YEAR BUT THIS YEAR HE WANTED TO ATTEND PUBLIC I DIDNT WANT TO BECAUSE OF THE FACT I THINK HE WONT GOT THROUGH THE WHOLE YEAR. HE'LL MISS ALOT OF SCHOOL AND SO FORTH. IM GLAD I CAN TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT THIS
dove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Aug/2007 at 10:11am
My children go on field trips with other homeschoolers in our church and local area. Also they go to 4-H Functions this helps. The rest of the time my children play and argue with each other. They seem happy. Mine came from public schhol into homeschool.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Aug/2007 at 10:13am
THANK YOU
snowyowlbooks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/Aug/2007 at 6:00pm

Hello!!  Don't give up!!

I'm a single Homeschool Mom.  We're pretty rare I think.  My boys are 11 and 16.  My oldest son does an online Highschool.  Penn Foster it is around $900.00 for the whole highe school curriculum 9-12 which is a bargain and they go at there own pace and can email teachers if they have questions.  My Youngest is more hands on.  I don't use a strict curriculm too much like school!!  We do ots of work books, library books more like Unschooling.    I pulled my oldest out 3 years ago nad my youngest out this year.  Figure out their "learning style" and go from there.  Put more emphasis on fun the learning will come naturally.  We love the History Channel and Discover. 

Schools just don't give a darn.  Both of my kids have health problems and I refuse to send them when they are sick. 

Good luck!

Set-Apart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/Aug/2007 at 6:21pm

We use S.O.S.  I really like it.  My kids are very computer literate though.  My 8 year old went into the 3rd grade SOS the second semester of his 2nd grade year.  (He had all A's too) This year he's doing 4th grade, so he skipped a year.  I just added their grades for progress reports, and at the end of 4 weeks he's got all A's and one B.  My 10 year old is doing 5th grade SOS and he too has all A's and a B in History.  He is very hard to stay focused on any workbook type work but excells with SOS.  It's not for everyone though.  I have friends who use it and their kids struggle with it.

You can buy a used set on ebay for a lot cheaper, or buy it new at rainbow resource for like 270.00 (5 subjects: Bible, Math, Science, Language Arts, History and all the answers, tests, quizs, lessons included.  It is interactive with games and videos. 

Another suggestion, for my Kindergartner we are using www.Time4Learning.com It is only 20 a month and can be used as a complete stand alone curriculum.  It's really pretty thoural.  I must admit I had my doubts about it, but am actually quite impressed.  It's fun too, and has lots of printable worksheets to correspond.  It goes through the 8th grade. And you can't beat the price.  No upfront costs, and no contract.  It's secular, but we supplement also with Abeka, and Bob Jones for Bible, and we just started using ClickNRead.

I have 5 kids ages 10 and under so I need something that they can work independently with.  I can even leave the kids here with a sitter if I need to and they can do their work while I'm gone.  If they have a problem they can just skip the problem till I get home, and continue on.

dove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Sep/2007 at 1:54pm
I ended up using sos for my 6th grader he likes it! My 9th grader she is doing the lifepac books. The only thing I have noticed is some of the questions have between the line answers. which has been confusing.

but thanks for your input.

God Bless.
wrightno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Oct/2007 at 9:34pm
this web site offers a distance learning program for homeschoolers,you should check it out.www.tiptopwebsite.com/wrightno
missrachel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Oct/2007 at 1:24pm
I am also a single homeschooling mom; I just recently started working full time again and was kind of worried about how to pull it off. (I got myself into some pretty deep debt, so I had to do this.)  My 19 year old son wants to help, and he will when he can, but he just recently found something full time, also -- he was working part-time for a while.  Well, my sister lives next door and we have been able to work something out.  She watches three of her grand-children--and homeschools one of them--and could really use my daughter's help.  She is also doing a "co-op" thing with a friend of hers who have three daughters that are close to my daughter's age, so my daughter goes over while I'm at work.
slew59 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Oct/2007 at 10:46am
I have a 16 year old in homeschooling. We correspond, mostly, through the mail. There is a web site to log on to, but, we do everything through the mail. Last term cost $590.00. We have a computer; we even have the Internet, but doing the business through the mail is much less stressful. My 16 yr. old gets books and sends homework - all through the mail. She's been doing it pretty much on her own. If she needs some help she asks me first. So far, I have been able to help. It really helps my girl to know that it's all up to her. She had to argue hard in order for me to let her be in home school - she's an only child and I wanted her to have the socialization of being in public school. I relented and now her grades are much, much better. The school we use is American Home School of Correspondence. They correct her work also, and send us the corrected (edited)work.

Edited by slew59
dove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Oct/2007 at 11:09am
missrschel & slew59

thanks for the help..I will stick with what I have this year. But next year I will do something different with my daughter she will be in 10th, Lifepac is not the easiest. Q&A's aren't in black & white.

but it is challenging to homeschool after work, even with a good ciriculum. I am going to bed around midnight or better.
slew59 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 1:38pm
My 16 year old is in 10th also. Rite now there is a slight haitus and she's actually getting anxious to get more books. Her next hard class (according to her) is Math. I just went to the website and found that she's now doing A work. You can imagine how that made her feel. Just be patient, because the main reason for homeschooling is to avoid the stress of deadlines; to go at their own rate; and to add to a students own self-esteem. So far, we're seeing all of the above.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic