Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcursive writing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sci-mum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: cursive writing
    Posted: 11/Sep/2007 at 8:47am
Hi All,
What is the best program/way for teaching cursive writing that you've found?
Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Sep/2007 at 9:09am

Hi Sci-mum,

I am very relaxed, so I didn't really follow everything in this series to the "T", however, Getty-DuBay Italics is the best series of handwriting books I have seen. Google "Getty-DuBay Italics" and see what the letters look like. You learn how to "print" and then you learn how the connective strokes, that turns it into cursive.

What I really like about it is that it is extremely legible and there are lots of ways to do it, and no grade levels.

I also enjoyed reading the teacher's handbook; it contains the history of each letter and numeral.  There are plenty of project ideas, as well.

Kim

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Sep/2007 at 8:43pm

Originally posted by sci-mum sci-mum wrote:

Hi All,
What is the best program/way for teaching cursive writing that you've found?

I prefer to begin with a traditional method of cursive writing, then add an italics or other "fancy" :-) method later.

Zaner-Bloser is very good. There is also Handwriting Without Tears and SmithHand; even Rod and Staff Publishers' cursive penmanship isn't too bad.

Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Sep/2007 at 6:56am

Dear Sci-mum,

Here's a link to a page from a homeschool catalog that I trust. The catalog is called Timberdoodle (Timberdoodle.com)

http://www.timberdoodle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&am p;Category=109

It's has a good description of the Italics Handwriting series I told you about earlier. They recommend another handwriting series, too, if you want to see other options. I have only used the italics series---it's not calligraphy, so don't get turned off by the name.

You might enjoy browsing the whole catalog. They have lots of science stuff, like building sets, too.

Hope you enjoy it.

Kim

sci-mum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Sep/2007 at 7:38am

Thanks for the suggestions!

I bought the Spencerian method, from the 30's, because I wanteda more traditional approach but it was awful. What a waste of money. It is much too "flow-y" and barely legible.

I will check out these suggestions instead.

sci-mum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Sep/2007 at 7:41am
I love the Handwriting Without Tears method for printing. It was great, but the cursive style seems to be straight up and down rather than slanted. Have you tried it for the cursive style Elliemaejune??
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Sep/2007 at 7:57am

Originally posted by sci-mum sci-mum wrote:

I love the Handwriting Without Tears method for printing. It was great, but the cursive style seems to be straight up and down rather than slanted. Have you tried it for the cursive style Elliemaejune??

No, I have not used HWT; it gets mostly good reviews, though :-) The Spalding Method (Writing Road to Reading) teaches a "connected" writing that is also pretty much straight up and down; the slant comes with speed and experience.

Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Sep/2007 at 8:16am

Hi Sci-mum,

Here's something that might help you get a look at what some writing styles look like.

http://www.cep.pdx.edu/titles/italic_series/excerpts.shtml

There's an option to look at a pdf, that compares 5 different writing styles.

Thanks.

Kim

Set-Apart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Sep/2007 at 12:11pm

I used Bob Jones Handwriting for 2nd 3rd and 4th, and while they were okay the 5th that I have now I do not like at all.  And I didn't realize that writing styles were so different.  Bob Jones is kinda odd, ecspecially the Q and the G.  That being said my 8 year old learned cursive using their book and has beautiful handwriting, and he's left handed.  My 10 year old learned cursive in ps and needs a lot of work in this area. 

I just ordered Handwriting with a Reason book C for the both of them.  I though we'd just start back at the beginning for the both of them.  I like that this book ihas short lessons, and they will be writing bible verses.  The Bob Jones 5th my son has, has him writing about different languages.

I did borrow a Getty-Dubay book from a friend and my boys balked at it, they said it was to wierd.

Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Sep/2007 at 1:26pm

Dear Sci-mum,

I thought of a few more things that might be helpful to you in understanding what I have tried and why I chose the Italics Series, since the question was which one was the best that I have found.

There's always the good old chalkboard or dry erase board, and the wall chart to fall back on. Now they have dry erase practice books at the discount stores, that we've brought with us in the van. They like those a lot.

If you want to use the cursive with the loops, the D' Nealian style of writing seems to be very legible, and someone did give me a couple of workbooks that were self-explanatory---by Donald N. Thurber.  It looks like, to me that you would be able to connect the D'Nealian manuscript letters together, however they chose to replace them with cursive writing that has loops.

I learned from Getty-DuBay, that cursive means writing that is written in a continuous flow, not wriitng that has loops(I couldn't make this stuff up!)

One more thing comparing what I saw in the D'Nealian workbook vs. the Getty-DuBay Series, is the prices for D'N. is about 10 USD, while the G-DB ones are around 7 or 8 USD, for each workbook(If you order from www.christianbooks.com).

I am using the last workbook in the Getty-DuBay series to help myself write cursive, without loops. They have a variety of levels and resources, as you may have seen.

I have a couple of Desk strips that are very helpful to put up for the kids to refer to, as well. I got them directly from the publishers there in Oregon.

My kids need to do more handwriting!!! Except for what they do for outside groups, they are mostly typing, although they play together and write together(mostly printing).

Those are the things that we have used that worked for us (at least they were affordable and flexible in their applications.

I used to like to look at this website that had cool assessories, one of them being a dry-erase plastic page cover and dry-erase pens for workbooks. It has been very useful for practicing writing.

I guess that's all for now.

Edited by Campmomx4
Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Sep/2007 at 1:28pm

Dear Sci-Mum,

Oops! That website is  http://www.lovetolearn.net

I hope it's okay to give out url's, since they are just my personal ideas where to look.

Edited by Campmomx4
geraelindsey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Sep/2007 at 1:30pm
We are using the Handwriting without Tears version and it's not my favorite, but it is very easy to read. We used another workbook that I had found at the teacher supply store and my daughter had a difficult time even reading her lessons. I have the teachers manual but haven't found it necessary.
bugsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Sep/2007 at 4:21pm
I second Zaner Bloser for manuscript as well as for cursive.  It's basic, easy to learn and legible. New to homeschooling last year, but that's what we used in when I taught in PS and I still think it's the best program out there for children w/out fine motor special needs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic