Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbeka versus BJU - elementary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Eliza07 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abeka versus BJU - elementary
    Posted: 19/Sep/2007 at 8:15am
Hi!  After research and prayer we have decided to homeschool our 7 year old and initially want to go with the same curriculum for all subjects.  That being said I am looking into Abeka and BJU.  Does anyone have any experience and input they would be willing to share regarding Abeka and BJU both the parent direct taught and video programs.  Thanks!!
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Sep/2007 at 1:01pm

If I were going to choose one publisher for everything...oh, boy, I don't think I could choose either ABeka or BJUP. I like ABeka's science and history better at the elementary level, and BJUP's English and math. Hmmmm...I guess if I had to choose *just one,* given those two choices, I'd choose...boy, that's tough...ok, I'd choose BJUP. BJUP has wonderful teacher manuals, good grammar/composition instruction (ABeka tends to beat grammar to death), better arithmetic than ABeka, and really and truly, much friendlier to hsers than ABeka is.

Unless there are special needs in your family, I wouldn't recommend the video/dvd/whatnot programs, not for a child so young. High school level, maybe, but there isn't anything that difficult for young dc that parents would be unable to teach.

To throw another choice in the mix, what about Rod and Staff Publishers? Excellent materials, wonderful teacher manuals, easy to use and teach, inexpensive. You can call the publisher and request a catalog, scope and sequence, and curriculum samples: (606) 522-4348. I would choose R&S over either ABeka or BJUP.

PrayingMom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 5:55pm

I use BJU for my first and second graders for most subjects.  I wanted to go across the board, one publisher, too, but found two other products that I wanted to use for writing and math. 

Instead of using BJU's handwriting, I use A Reason for Writing (Children practice writing by copying Bible verses.  At the end of the week, they write the verse on a picture bordered page they color, then give it to someone outside the family--teaching them to share God's word with others.).  Also, I use Saxon for math, because I just don't think you can beat it.  A friend suggested Saxon math, and told me to use one level higher than my child's age (my second grader uses Saxon 3, my first grader uses Saxon 2). It has worked out very well for us.  The program introduces a new concept almost every day, but CONSTANTLY reviews past concepts (a couple of time problems, a couple of money problems, a couple of addition problems, etc.)

I like BJU's colorful student texts, the pace seems right for our family, and used copies of the student texts are widely available.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic