Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntegrated Curriculum Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nh@homestudio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Integrated Curriculum Recommendations
    Posted: 25/Sep/2007 at 4:05pm

Does anyone have any integrated curriculum that they have tried and found good to use?

I am looking toward trying this with my 5th grader and was wondering what anyone could recommend to me.  I think he would enjoy learning alot more if it was more generalized from one subject he enjoys - HISTORY- and then built out from there. He is still very weak in Math so I would probably go with a separate Math curriculum, but was wondering what anyone would suggest.  I have been searching through tons of curriculum sites as I am not really crazy about some of what we are using this year. 

BeachMom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Sep/2007 at 4:17am

Hi ,

Since your son likes History,  Konos has some mini unit studies that might be just what you are looking for.

You could begin with "Explorers"- we built a viking ship while reading about Lief Ericson.

Then on to "Settlers", where you build a model of Jamestown, and then finish the year with "American Revolution". Each of these units are designed for 9 weeks, but could easily be stretched out- there are so many great activities, books, projects, and suggestions.

www.konos.com- Look under History's Heroes.

It’s about hands-on activities capturing children's attention and increasing their retention. It’s about teaching a child, not a curriculum. It’s about fun and laughter and shaping memories. It’s about creating a love of learning that lasts a lifetime. Mary Pride, author of The Big Book of Home Learning, calls KONOS "the greatest set of home school activities ever!" We think you will too.

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Sep/2007 at 5:07am

Thank you!  I will certainly check it out.  It sounds like the kind of thing we would be looking for.  He loves "hands on" things to do and it really helps him remember things even more by "doing" instead of just reading.

mark_egp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Sep/2007 at 5:14pm

Sonlight is good for history, but expensive and time consuming (lot of reading together).  Tapestry of Grace is another centered on History, but I haven't used it.
We also weren't "crazy about" the available curriculums so have forged our own approach.  We use a history centered approach and a variety of resources - all detailed on our family site.  We have details for 6th grade and up but it should be helpful for your 5th grader as well:  http://www.everygoodpath.net/6thGrade

for math, we prefer Saxon: http://www.everygoodpath.net/node/83

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Sep/2007 at 5:21pm

Thank you, I also am not crazy about the curriculum.  I have found some interesting curriculum and have sent away for information. I will check these unit studies out for next year. Since this is my first year we opted to go with an Umbrella School and spent alot of money. I have just made a call today to tell them we will be doing the curriculum however not participating in all the housekeeping and administrative things we were supposed to do. Too much stress! I would rather take my time and make sure they are getting the concepts while having fun not trying to push on to the next lesson because the program says I have to!

I have learned very quickly to pick and choose my own curriculum and do what is best for my two boys. 

I will check out your site thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic