Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com - The #1 Homeschooling Community
| More

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Fathers World

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scook63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Fathers World
    Posted: 14/Oct/2007 at 3:25am

Hi all!  Just  wondering if anyone uses My Fathers World?  Thinking about changing to it next year as A Beka just hasn't been user friendly for a multi-age group.  I'll be using if for 5th and 7th grade combined.  But if I change curriculum....where should I start?  At the first one, or on up the line?

Thanks!

Annie A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Oct/2007 at 7:43am
scook 63

Be careful with broad curriculums. They are good but you really need to beef them up with other age appropriate materials. I am not real familiar with My Father's World curriculum so I can't comment on it but I have seen other homeschoolers who tried to broaden things and that way I find Abeka good as it is aimed at a quality level for a particular age group. I use Abeka but I use it for more than one grade. My 7 and 9 are both doing grade 4 science and language arts and there is a lot of cross over in math. With any curriculum you can adapt it to an age group. I find I need to remember to challenge my nine year old and not find a medium road. Have fun.
lucymaud View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Oct/2007 at 4:42pm
I have a friend who used My Father's World for her first graders last year.  She loves it.  I haven't talked to her yet this school year, but this summer she was saying that she planned to continue to use it.
scook63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Oct/2007 at 1:46am

It's good to hear that you use A Beka like that Annie.  That's what I've been doing, and I guess I was afraid I was short changing my older son.  When I compared the history texts, they are almost word for word the same, they are just placed in different sections of the book.  So right now we are doing Pilgrims, moving into the 13 colonies, combing the books, using the tests/quizes that are grade appropriate.  It's hard to feel like you are not cheating when you don't follow the company's guidelines!

As for MFW, I read in several reviews that it is quite full of info with multi-age requirements, additional work for older students.  At least I have plenty of time to get lots of opinions, maybe look at a set and see what falls out!

Thanks!

CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Oct/2007 at 8:50am
I'll second what Anne said - most newbie homeschoolers start out with broad curriculums, but find that they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

What we found worked best for our family was to use curriculum in an "ala carte" style - ie. we used Bob Jones for math, Easy Grammar for grammar, "A Reason to Write" for penmanship, Vertias Press for history, Destinos for Spanish, a local co-op for science, and the local public library for reading.

My biggest advice is "don't be afraid to try something, and throw it out if you don't like it".  Which has a follow-up advice of "using someone else's used curriculum is a really good idea...." (it costs alot less).
scook63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 5:01am

Chris..LOL!  So true about used curriculum.  I'm so glad I got a lot of our A Beka used...but it still cost an arm and a leg!

I haven't heard of Easy Grammer, I'll give it a search.  As for math, we really like the Math-U-See.  We're doing Rosetta Stone for our German. 

Someone mentioned Tapestry of Grace, but I don't know anything about that program either.  Nothing like being new!

maroodlemom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Dec/2008 at 12:19pm

I've been using "My Father's World" for 2 years now, with my 5th grade daughter. We love it. It's very comprehensive and complete. This year has been both of our favorite...we're studying Rome to the Reformation. We've picked up movies and books on Cleopatra and Julius Caesar at the library to further complete our study, and she's learned the books of both the New and Old Testament this year, as well as the travels of Paul. We use Saxon Math and SpellingPower along with it, and an English program I found on-line. It's a great program created by a missionary mom who used to be a school teacher. She uses the Charlotte Mason Approach. I'm looking forward to the rest of the year, as we will be studying the solar system. I'm re-learning right along with her!!!

Hope this helps!!! 

Jer. 29:11

Victoria Carrin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Dec/2008 at 2:58pm
Unfortunately, I used MFW for First Grade and found it very thin on content compared to other, more traditional curriculum.  Because the early years are so important for laying strong foundations, I was fairly disappointed that MFW did not seem to include many basics. 

The funny thing is, with some curriculum, you do not even know what you are missing until you begin to look at other curriculum.

If you do use MFW, or any of the many programs like it popping up online, know that you will need to supplement fairly extensively in important subjects like math and science, phonics, reading comprehension, handwriting, composition and spelling.  That was a little much for me so we switched to BJU Press curriculum instead and found it very complete and excellent.

I could go on and on about this but you can read more (if you want to!) on my blog at www.HomeschoolMomTips.blogspot.com

Just a word of caution: decide what your homeschooling  goals are and use that to drive your curriculum choices.
1blessedmomx4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Jul/2009 at 10:35pm
I know this post is old but, I agree with Victoria Carrington on My Father's World. I used it with my oldest two daughters for kindergarten and first grade. It just didn't seem to be enough. Then I found BJU Press Curriculum also. That's what I am currently using and we really like it. We plan on sticking with BJU.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic