Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMFW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
buckeyegirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: MFW
    Posted: 13/Dec/2007 at 7:50am
So, this is our 6th year h/sing. For the first 5 years we used A Beka dvd's, then this year we switched to BJU Homesat(for many reasons, cost being the big one). We really like both of these curriculums, but I am VERY intrigued with MFW. I guess what I like most is the thought of all us sitting and learning together. With the dvd programs we are all just all over the place and I guess I really think that using something like MFW would bring us all closer together, I LOVE the thought of that. I would still continue to use BJU Homesat for English, Math, Foreign Language, and also preschool(I would stick with the dvd programs for k and 1st as well because I REALLY like how reading is taught and my kids are great reader). So I guess my question is, have any of you gone from a textbook only approach to a unit study approach and it was successful? Then I guess I want to know how any of you with multiple age groups and large families do it. That is another big concern of mine, that I will not be able to help everyone. Right now the dvd/satellite teachers takes so much of the burden off of me(yet we are still behind :}), but I do have a lot of prep work. Next year, when I would do the switch, my kids would be 6th, 4th, 2nd, 4 yo, 2yo, and a newborn. So is this even possible? or would I be just spread too thin? I so want to do, but I am very afraid of failing my kids. kwim?
c4jesus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Dec/2007 at 2:51pm
I don't use MFW at this point, but have considered it for my kids. We started out using a textbook curriculum (Christian Liberty) to doing unit studies and it has worked out great. I'm so glad I switched in my 2nd year. We are currently doing Cantering the Country and are having a lot of fun with it. We still do some textbook - for phonics, math, spelling..and supplement with Considering God's Creation. My kids are so curious and have a strong desire to learn. We'd take all day just on all their questions!

I have heard a lot of great things about MFW. I think, if it's okay, you may want to ask in the Christian Homeschooling forum here and ask more there.
buckeyegirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Dec/2007 at 11:43am
Thanks for the advice.  I will have to check out that forum.  I am glad to hear you had a smooth transition from text books.  That is probably my biggest concern.

Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic