Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbeka DVD vs Bob Jones DVD??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
supplyhoarder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abeka DVD vs Bob Jones DVD??
    Posted: 27/Dec/2007 at 7:47am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to hs'ing and am still in the process of trying to decide which curriculum to use.  My husband and I are leaning toward the Abeka DVD program b/c we are new to this and feel unsure of ourselves.  We have a 13 yr old son who will be withdrawing from public school after the Christmas break.  If you have any advice or info you'd like to share about the Abeka DVD program, please do.  I would certainly appreciate all the help I can get. 

Oh...the other program we have looked at is the Bob Jones DVD?  Any advice/suggestions about that one as well?

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Dec/2007 at 8:08am

I could not recommend ABeka, not the DVDs, not just the books. Way too overwhelming, even for people who are more experienced.

I like BJUP's textbooks much better, and I have heard good things about HomeSat. However, if your ds is not academically strong, HomeSat might be too big a challenge for him.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Dec/2007 at 4:07pm
Thanks for the info!  What curriculum do you use and why did you choose that one? 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Dec/2007 at 5:07pm

We used a variety of materials from different publishers.

We liked BJUP's history texts; Saxon for math; Easy Grammar and Writing Strands for grammar/comp.

Since we graduated our dc (they are now 29 and 31yo), there are many more materials available.

You might try looking through a couple of on-line catalogs to see what's available. Shekinah Curriculum Cellar is a good one: www.shekinahcc.com.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Dec/2007 at 5:36pm
I haven't heard of Shekinah Curriculum so I'll definitely go check that out!  Thanks so much!
chessie15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Dec/2007 at 6:26pm
One of the biggest mistakes that I made the first year of home schooling was buying a full curriculum,(it can be really expensive) My daughter hated it. This year I have done a lot of research and bought it in pieces and that seems to have worked better for her, we really try to mix it up so she dosen't get bored. I really have everything worked out except math and I am still trying to figure that out in the mean time we are using Skill builders.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Dec/2007 at 7:33am

Thanks Chessie 15 for the information and for sharing your experience. 

Can I ask you...did you take your daughter out of public school mid-stream too?  If so, how did you know where to start on the homeschool lessons?  Since we are mid-year I'm not sure how and where we will start my son on any of the subjects.  

We are taking a family trip today to a local homeschool store.  From what I've heard they are awesome and very knowledgeable people as well so I'm hoping to get some more information from them, however I would still appreciate it if you don't mind sharing your experience and expertise too. 

Thanks again. 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Dec/2007 at 8:35am

Something to consider:

Have your ds take the Saxon math placement test and start from the beginning. Most Saxon texts can be used in more than one grade level, and it won't matter what time of the year your ds begins working on it.

Do composition and grammar for the rest of the year; each Writing Strands level is considered a semester's worth of work, so your ds could start with Level 4, maybe 5 if he's done lots of writing, and that would take you through the end of this school year. You could add Easy Grammar; if he does three pages a day, he would just about finish up by the end of the year, also. Then you could start next fall with some literature studies.

History and geography are sort of free at this age :-) You could spend the rest of this year doing Texas history, and begin a world geography in the fall.

So is science. Beautiful Feet Books does a "History of Science" course, which is primarily biographical and uses good literature instead of textbooks. www.bfbooks.com

This would give you some place to start and time to figure out the fall.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Dec/2007 at 9:32am

I have read where alot of people do the Saxon math so it must be a good program.  I just found an online placement test that you can download as well.  Thanks for such great information! 

I hadn't heard of the writing strands but I'm off to check that out as well.

Thanks again - I really appreciate it.  I'll post again after we get back from the Homeschool store later today.

Appreciate cha!

chessie15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Dec/2007 at 7:01pm
I took my daughter out 6 weeks into school, the principal gave me the scope and sequence for the grade level. what they had already completed and what was still left to complete for the rest of the year. However I'am under the impression that most schools are not that helpful as ours.
used2teach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Dec/2007 at 7:46pm

I pulled my son out in early February of last year, he was a 4th grader.   I decided to test him with placement tests like the Saxon test to see where he actually was, not where the school said he should be. 

You might end up being very surprised that you child is not as advanced as you would think.  We use the Math U See curriculum and I ended up having to start with the third grade level math with him to catch him up to his current grade level.  His school used Saxon and it just didn't fit his learning style.

As far as visiting a homeschool store, just remember that they like the vendors at homeschool curriculum fairs want to sell a product.  Do your homework and try to make good choices.  I use www.homeschoolreviews.com to research any curriculum I may be interested in.

Good luck!

Edited by used2teach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic