Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed8th Grade History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
supplyhoarder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8th Grade History
    Posted: 23/Jan/2008 at 4:27am

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 8th grade history curriculum? 

TIA

CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2008 at 9:15am
World History?
  -->  what era?

US History?

History of American Business?

(or my favorite) Texas History?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2008 at 10:23am

Uuhh...I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I have no idea. 

I personally don't like history and never have.  However I believe in ps they used Texas history but I could be totally wrong. 

chessie15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2008 at 11:41am
We are using Story of the World on audio my daughter loves it.
chessie15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2008 at 4:50pm

North Carolina 8th grade recomendation is American history and NC history

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2008 at 6:28pm
Chessie15 - what is it about Story of the World that she likes?  Do you use the workbooks too?
chessie15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2008 at 7:03pm
The story of the world by Susan Wise bauer, we are using the Early Modern time on audio book. I asked her what she thought about history, she says that is is very interesting and explains things really good and likes the activity book coloring pages & map work. I think she likes it best because she dose not have to read, she listens and then answers the questions. That is the only down fall, on Sunday I write all the questions out for her and she breaks them up Monday - Wednesday about 7-10 questiosn per day Thursday she does map work and friday she gets to color the art pages ships, kings, queens, horses etc. There are lots of other activities in the book that you can do we just stick to our routine. She listens to the cd all week, there are 42 chapters in the book we do one chapter per week. the activity book is $32.95 the audio cds are $55.95 I will definatley do the same thing next year different time period.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2008 at 4:21am

Thanks Chessie15.  My son comprehends better when something is read to him which is why this interests me so much.  Where you able to listen to any of it before purchasing a copy of the audio?  I am going to see if they have a copy of it in the library as well but was just wondering. 

Also...where you able to see the workbook sheets?  I found some of the books online but I wasn't able to view anything in it.  Could have been user error though. 

You also mentioned that you write the questions down for her.  I'm just wondering - why do you write them vs writing in the book? 

CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2008 at 10:41am
I have kind of a different approach to history.

The traditional approach is to take a "big picture" view and proceed in chronological order.  That is, take a period of time (eg American history from Columbus to the Civil War) and go through hitting the highlight events and people.

Personally, that approach bores me to tears.

What I found works better (for me anyway) is to take something VERY specific and focus on that.  For example, instead of learning about "World War II", I would read 2 books about the "Flying Tigers".  Specific names and people that I could get emotionally invested in.   Then I would pick another specific object from that same general era and read 2-3 books about that - ie. something about the Battle of the Bulge.  Then another - maybe Hitler then Mussolini.  Then the Battle for Midway.

Only after I had done that about 2 or 3 specific items, would I then do an overview type of book that would then put the pieces I was already familiar with together.

After all - history isn't about a simple collection of names, places, and factoids - it's about events and how they affected specific people.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2008 at 11:32am

Thanks Chris....very good idea.  Based on how my son is your approach might work well for him.  Thanks for the suggestion - I'll definitely look into that.

YouMeUs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2008 at 1:08pm
We use Story of the World too, but not the CD version.  History is by far my kids' favorite subject.  I'll read it out loud while they color the maps and pages and we'll discuss the questions together after.  I try for two chapters per week, but every time we finish a chapter the kids beg me to do another.

ETA: I bought the books at my local bookstore.  You might check out the stores around you if you want to touch and feel it before you buy it.  I know that I much prefer the ability to see what I'm buying.

Edited by YouMeUs
chessie15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2008 at 4:51pm
The activity book is really for the teacher, each chapter has 20 to 30 questions with the answers on it and the back has maps and coloring activities so I write the questions out on sunday and pull out the works sheets for her to do. They carry these books at books a million if you wanted to view before purchase. I bought mine at the local homeschool store

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jan/2008 at 4:06am
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic