Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedN.C. mom ordered public school

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Randee's_Mom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2009 at 1:45am

LMAO MING!  You go girl!!  My husband knows he aint walkin either.. Not til I AM done and send HIM packin. lol. 

But yeah, that was the same thing I was sayin somewhere up above.  I bet he didn't have no problem when they were married.  Why now is he raising the issue.  I think its just to spite the mom and it actually has nothin to do with the kids or his fear of their not learning cause obviously they are learnin as they've been tested at above average.  He's just doin it to spite the nose on the moms face.  Men are jack***** when it comes to divorce cause they know the judge is probably gonna grant them nothin but child support and visitations while the wife cleans up takes the kids, the house, AND the dog! lol

ming View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2009 at 2:49am
I wonder if he's scared of me? If I want something done I just wait until he sits down for five minutes, then sit next to him and say lovingly, 'you know, this is great, we never get anytime to just talk!  The new door on the bathroom can wait.  We should talk about everything we've been doing this week and get all our feelings out in the open'. That bathroom door was up and swinging in ten minutes! lol.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2009 at 9:03pm
LMAO.. GIRL.. You are a girl after my own heart! HEHEHEHE!!
dottieanna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Jun/2009 at 8:24am

I definitely sympathize with the mom in this case.  I share joint custody with my ex of my 15 year old who is still in public school. 

BUT, in looking up further information on this case, the mom has only been homeschooling for 4 years after joining a church that she did not belong to with the husband.  The article copied above says "he objected to the children being removed from public school" mainly because of the severe religious slant to way the mom was teaching.

The mom does have a right to her beliefs and to teach her children but, the father also has the right to decide what his children learn, especially if its on a widely disputed subject such as creationism versus evolution.  Unless of course the divorce agreement places all decision making power with one or the other, which evidently isn't the case here.

This isn't really a homeschooling versus public school situation.  It's a disagreement between parents who want their children taught in different ways (biblical verus secular). 

It's a very sad when kids are drawn into fights like this.

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Jun/2009 at 9:19am

Well, i suppose I can see what you are saying.  For example, my being of Jewish faith, I wouldn't per say want my daughter taught secular or even really christian beliefs as to not confuse her.  I'm just wondering if its an issue of religion.. cause to take say you cant homeschool because of whatever you might teach religiously is still balancing on a very thin line.  To say she can't just because she might teach a varying opinion from the father is wrong.  Its not like the father will not have joint custody and cant sit down with his child or children and say.. "this is my take and my opinion on the subject matter at hand"... and teach his child a varying point.  After all, its not like just because they get divorced that his role as a parent or educator ends and he can't teach his children when they are with him.

It'd be a different thing if the mom said, "don't believe what your daddy is telling you!" 

For example, if my husband and I split and he decided to tell my kids, Christmas is the real thing, the treal truth, not Hanukkah..."  then we'd have major issues.

But who is to say what's goin on with this poor family.  Divorce sucks.  I should know.  My mom is a divorcee, so is my sister and brother.  AND, my cousin killed himself two days ago because he and his wife are divorcing.   I just feel sorry when kids are drug into this whole thing, too.

msaraann View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jun/2009 at 11:12am
I strongly believe that a parent should have freedom to teach their child whatever they feel is important. I believe that is part of our responsibility to our children. Why would anyone expect a parent to hold back their strongly held beliefs from their children? The father, in this case, is not trying to teach his children what he strongly feels they should know, otherwise he would just do that, regardless of school or homeschool. He is trying to send them to school, away from their mother. He is using them to hurt their mother.
kewkew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jun/2009 at 4:01pm
Sara,
I agree, he is just trying to hurt mom. I have dealt with
it for 9 years now
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jun/2009 at 8:42pm

I'm with both of you on the issue!!! 

(And its so nice to see or talk to you ladies again.  I got booted from my grief forum because I talked about my cousins suicide as it was "too much" for other people that were there grieving.  They can grieve, tell their stories, just I cant.  Guess cause my family killed themselves and they are a bunch of self professed christian hypocrites they aint havin it on their grief forum.  Hmmmmm ????????)

kewkew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jun/2009 at 9:19pm
Hi again Randee's mom
Sorry to hear about your being booted. That seems so
wrong. Why would suicide make a difference. I am confused.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2009 at 10:50am
Not that I wanna mark up the post about my issues, lol... but I think being as I was a member of a Christian grief support network, suicide must be frowned upon.  As I'm sure its frowned upon anywhere.  I was told I was not welcome to discuss it there.   Who knows, maybe they didn't like a Jew on their board either.   I don't know what it was.  I poured some pretty hefty grief out expecting for the other members of the board to come and help me work through my grief as the board IS a grief support network/website/forum.. whatever ya wanna call it.  But instead, I got my head bit off, told I didn't belong, and told not to continue my post, and it was locked by the lady who ran the board as a bunch of stuffy old women had run to her talkin about it made them nervous or whatever.  umm.. ok.. when they joined the board to discuss their grief, they told their stories and grieved and got help and support.  But because my loved on committed suicide, i'm not allowed to tell my story and have that same help and support.  I left of my own accord as the place was too much like a girls club and not enough like the grief support network it claimed to be.
kewkew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2009 at 11:54am
I am a Christian, I don't believe in suicide, but I do
believe we are told to love and grieve with those that
grieve. You had no control how your loved one passed away.
Not a group I'd want to belong to.
Glad your back here though.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2009 at 3:38pm
After a year and a half of being on that board, I left it.  Funny thing, I went in to say goodbye and explain to people why I was leaving.  NICELY.  With no attack or anything.  A couple of moms who'd been on the board with me, they responded with how suicide had touched their lives, and the older members of the board and the woman who runs the board cut em off, told em NO MORE DISCUSSION and LOCKED my even saying goodbye or the women who came out to try and talk about THEIR issues as well.  Pretty crappy if you ask me.  Should be a girls club forum and not a grief network.  But then again, my grief counselor in portland ended our therapy sessions from HIS being too traumatized by talking about my lil girl who was stillborn.  WTH?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic