Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime4Learning vs Time4Writing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
johnedelson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time4Learning vs Time4Writing
    Posted: 30/May/2009 at 12:53pm

Time4Learning is an online automated interactive curriculum that provides language arts, math, and some science and social studies from PreK up to 8th grade.   It has a large membership and is a leader in the homeschooling online learning space. The language arts program includes grammar, vocabulary, phonics, reading comprehension, word roots, spelling, literary analysis, critical thinking and so on.

In terms of teaching writing, Time4Learning includes many exercises to help students build writing skills such as isolating and working on the different steps in the writing process. Younger children have exercises called Story Creator in which they "tell" stories by picking a setting, some characters, and adding other elements. 

Parents can review the writing and evaluation rubriques are provided to the parents for each writing prompt. However, the writing is not graded by Time4Learning. 

Time4Writing.com was created in response to parent requests for one-to-one feedback for their students' writing. Time4Writing provides an eight week tutorial in writing with weekly assignments and very personalized feedback. The teachers are experienced licensed writing teachers (no college students or outsourcing to other countries) who usually work with the same student through the eight week course. The course takes place inside a website (Time4Writing.com) where students login to find their assignments. There are both automated exercises each week and a writing assignment (written on Time4Writing's online word processor).  There are classes for high school, middle school, and elementary students both for students who are skilled and for those in more of a remedial situation. And since each class is a one-on-one tutorial, they start when you are ready (space permitting. We love it when people book ahead). Some families schedule their eight week course with a planned week or two in the middle around family vacations, especially in the summer.

Like Time4Learning, Time4Writing is low cost ($99 for eight weeks), online, rapidly growing, and is built around motivating the students.  We have a helpful online video to learn more the writing classes.

MamaMary View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/May/2009 at 3:13pm
I am killing time while waiting for my oldest son to get ready to go workout and wanted to reply to this thread with our Time4Writing testimony.

I personally LOVE to read and write and was struggling when my oldest son did not enjoy it like his mama.  I kept trying to explain how to use more descriptive words/adjectives.  The importance of thinking through the point you want to make.  Yet he continued to struggle.  We used Time4Writing last Spring and Leslie was our teacher.  OH MY GOODNESS!

I loved that the responsibility of teaching and correction was coming from someone else other than me.  I LOVED that she was gentle yet firm and required him to be the best he could be.  I LOVED that Time4Writing teaches good writing through modeling.  What that means is when they are teaching a technique they actually show you samples of what they are looking for, in ADDITION to instruction. 

Leslie kept me up to date and was always incredibly prompt in responding to any questions.  It is the ONLY writing program I plan to use with all four of my sons.

This year at our year end testing this area went up by almost two full grade levels.  (and we haven't even used all the programs..., YET)
kellystone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/May/2009 at 5:24pm
Time4Learning provides writing instruction and practice, but the parent needs to provide feedback on the student's work . . . and there's no answer key for writing!  Part of the writing process is to revise and edit. Students really need good feedback in order to do that.

At first, I thought Time4Writing was a great idea for parents who found writing challenging themselves. It's very difficult to teach writing when you aren't a writer! I soon realized the benefit of getting a third party's feedback on my child's writing, regardless of my own ability. We just aren't very objective when it comes to evaluating our own children's work! (Because I enjoy writing, I think I was often too critical. My second son, especially, blossomed under Leslie's tutelage and appreciated her encouraging comments about his work.)

My children have taken one elementary Time4Writing course, two middle school Time4Writing courses, and one high school Time4Writing course. When they're involved in one of these courses, the first thing they want to do in the morning is log on to see what kind of comments their writing instructor left for them. They're never that interested in what I have to say.

I found Time4Writing to be a good partner. The courses are only eight weeks long, so they remain a "special" part of our program . . . something my kids look forward to because they don't do it all the time. If you look around online for something similar, you'll see that the cost is more than reasonable, too. Most programs provide weekly feedback. Time4Writing includes personalized teacher feedback almost every day.
HistoryMom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Jun/2009 at 7:00am
Thank you, this was very helpful. I have used curriculum
in the past that can provide feedback (Calvert's
Advisory Teaching Service) so I know how valuable that
can be coming from OTM (Other Than Mom).

I think I might present this to my daughter to take one
of these courses in the fall and one in the spring.
Since they are 8 weeks long, maybe she won't feel too
overwhelmed as there is a definite time limit.
RollingAlaskans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 1:03pm
Any news on when the 1st level elementary school course is going to
become available?

Thanks!
Ali

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 2:35pm
Good question!   I'll go ask for an update. Please stay tuned.  The elementary pre-sentence grammar course will be available for the youngest beginning writers.
johnedelson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Sep/2009 at 8:31am
Great news! Time4Writing just opened up the Elementary
Pre-Sentence Course:
school">Grammar Rocks!. You can sign up and start
today. (In fact,
the site still has "coming soon" on it. I'll fix that
over the weekend)

Thanks for your patience. Time4Writing now has three
courses at the elementary level, five in middle school,
and two in high school.

Edited by johnedelson
Jenniferrose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Oct/2009 at 3:39am
 I am very excited to be a part of this Forum and look forward to bringing Value to it about the homeschool thats a very nice.
Thanks for this information.
Acai Force Max
RollingAlaskans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Oct/2009 at 1:19pm
We've signed up for the first Elementary level class, Grammar Rocks, glad
it is here now! I am putting both children in it, I figure start from the
ground up just in case they've missed any parts.

My question may be a bit premature, but will the highest level
elementary, Elementary School Excellent Essays (not yet available), flow
directly to the lowest middle school offering, Middle School Basic Writings
Mechanics?

We're excited to be getting started with this, I feel it will augment their
current Time4Learning studies.

Thanks!
Ali

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Oct/2009 at 1:38pm

Middle School Basics should even provide a bit of a review for students who have completed the Elementary Excellent Essays course, as Middle School Basics starts out making sure the student remembers how to write a complete sentence. I would say they will flow together nicely.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic