Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed recommendations for using Bob Jones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Betsy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need recommendations for using Bob Jones
    Posted: 08/Sep/2009 at 4:37am

Good wishes to all!  I am brand new here and this is my first post to this site, which I love already.  It offers so much knowledge and is a fantastic resource!  I have really enjoyed reading many, many posts--everyone stays positive and the more experienced hsers really seem to care about assisting newbies and others in every concern with well researched and well thought out advice (like listing other great reference sites and offering the tried-and-true).  BTW, I see alot of abbreviations; I don't know what many of them mean (i.e., IMHO) and I could really use a list of abbreviations and their meanings so that I can improve my savvy and understanding. 

This mine and my son's second year of homeschooling.  We are in second grade now.  Last year I chose and was delighted with our curriculum--in particular we loved using Math-U-See and Considering God's Creation (science).

On to my primary question:  this year we were able to continue hsing only by the grace of God through a free donation of all our textbooks and teacher manuals.  The entire curriculum is from Bob Jones University Press.  I rarely see a reference to BJU here.  Would anyone kindly tell me why it is not featured or highly recommended here?  Would anyone kindly tell of any it's imperfections so that I can work through those and yet get the most of the program?  For the most part, it looks adequate to me (although not entirely what I would have chosen).  My appreciation extends to all who offer their support and advice.

Betsy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2009 at 5:50am
whoops!  Posted under wrong category--will repost, thank you.
chessie15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2009 at 9:56am

Welcome to the forum!

I think that BJU is a fine curriculum, I have only used bits and pieces because I don't like to use the same curriculum for every subject. I have a neighbor that homeschools 5 children and they use everything BJU, I know that it is christian and some people prefer secular.

theladyiscrazy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Oct/2009 at 4:34pm
BJU is Christian but does not welcoming to ALL Christian denominations.  So, you may want to glance through a few books, especially towards the high school levels if you are concerned about this.

Their English is very in-depth (writing and grammar). 
AimeeM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Apr/2011 at 1:06pm
We live across from BJU... and they are very intolerant of other denominations... (we are Catholic and they have a self admitted dislike for the Catholic religion)... I can't speak for others in the forum, but for this reason, I would not use the Bob Jones curriculum. I have heard that it is a wonderful academic program - but I would be very uneasy about the morals and ethics the curricula teaches.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic