Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTotally new to homeschooling my 4 year ol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ilovellav View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Totally new to homeschooling my 4 year ol
    Posted: 22/Sep/2009 at 11:02am

So I had my daughter enrolled in preschool.  She will be 4 in the beginning of november.  She misses our school cut off date my 1 month.  I had her enrolled in the 4 year old program because she has been writing her name, knows her numbers and letters etc.  On the 3rd day the teacher told me she wasn't "socially" ready for the 4 year old program.  ie she wsan't sharing like the other kids and she didn't take direction like the other kids.  To say the least I was a bit annoyed because they made up their mind about her after only 3 hours of class time.  They said academically she was great.  They claimed they had to watch her the entire time.  I was like well, thats your job.  The school also said she wouldn't do criss cross applesauce.  She told the teacher no. 

Anyway- she is in soccer once a week, takes piano lessons and goes to the libray once a week for story and craft time.  She also has plenty of friends that she sees, so I have decided to homeschool.  The school really doesn't know what they are missing.  They just didn't give my daughter a chance.

Since she is almost 4 and i have never done this before, where do I even begin.  I put a bunch of books on hold at the library. 

Ack it seems so overwhelming.  how many days a week, how long per day etc.  thanks for  the help

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Sep/2009 at 1:17pm
I wouldn't try to do too much formally with her. You could pick up some preschool-size Cuisnenaire rods for her to mess around with, and you could take a look at Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, which many people use with preschoolers. Otherwise, the normal kinds of things that mothers do with young dc is exactly what you "should" do.
CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Sep/2009 at 2:08pm
Just so you don't skim over what Ellie said above, I'm going to repeat the most important thing she said:

Don't try to do too much formally with her.

PS: if you have a schedule, you're doing too much.
ilovellav View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Sep/2009 at 6:24am
thanks ladies  :)  I will have to pick up the reading book.  O know she would love to learn to read.  we currently have 75 books checked out of the library.  she will spend hours on end looking and making up stories with her books.  she will memorize 1 book the first time she reads it.  crazy
CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Sep/2009 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by ilovellav ilovellav wrote:

thanks ladies  :)

<this reminds me that I need to put an avatar pic of myself up>

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic