Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phonics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cttrulson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cttrulson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phonics
    Posted: 22/Oct/2009 at 8:32am
Does anyone have a good phonics curriculium that your using for 1st grade?  Right now I'm using My Father's World, but my daughter is having a hard time with it.  She almost seems overwhelmed with it, no matter how much time we spend with it, therefore we end up with one unhappy little girl.  Any suggestion would be great. 
kewkew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kewkew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Oct/2009 at 10:02am
I will say right off my babies are only 2 1/2 and 16 months
old, so I am no expert. And I would love to see other's
answers to your question. And I don't know what My
Father's World is like. But I have a bunch of books I got
from the thrift shop almost a year ago and they were filled
with ABeka books. The phonics looks good to me. Would
love to hear others opinions on ABeka and My Father's World
and see what else is out there. I am also debating using
the McGuffey Eclectic Readers I found at Amazon and Reading
With Phonics by Hay/Wingo, but that is only one book.
tlcfor4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlcfor4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Oct/2009 at 10:48am
I currently have a kindergartener and we're using christian liberty press for phonics .I also used it 2 years ago for her older sister. it starts off real easy and just builds on itself but along with it she's reading A-Beka readers and she's doing real well. but as far as the "phonics "rules go I don't stick with them they get very confusing for me and the kids. we just use the basic letter sounds and go from there no stress involved.
cttrulson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cttrulson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Oct/2009 at 1:23pm

Do you know of any computer software phonics programs that would make learning fun, but still gaining the knowledge that she needs to know for first grade?  She loves the computer, so I thought this might be a good way to go as well as reading stories together. 

MamaFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Nov/2009 at 11:30am

Hi! I have used A Beka and personally like it. I love the phonics program for K-1st. I think the first part of 2nd grade is good too then the last half is just a bunch of review. First you learn the sounds of vowels, then consonants, then blends (la,le, li, lo, lu), then 3 letter words lap, let, lip etc. I used it for my 2 older ones and will use it again for my 2 younger ones. I wasn't too happy with the Language 3 program. Still looking for a good language program still. My oldest is in 5th grade and we have used a different lang. program every year. I am still looking. I don't know anything about My Father's World curriculum.

pocken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pocken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Nov/2009 at 8:30pm
With us my mama started us on Play 'n talk Phonics then, as we got older my mama switched us to the Explode the code books and I remember both being quite easy and we learned it solidly and fast.
I hope this helps. Here are the links.

http://www.play-n-talk.com/playntalk/index.htm

http://www.explodethecode.com/01_overview/

thowell777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thowell777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Dec/2009 at 8:59am

We use Progressive Phonics it is free online and has worked really well. We also used Starfall which is also free online and dd loved that.

1blessedmomx4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1blessedmomx4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Apr/2010 at 11:25am
I used My Father's World with my two oldest daughters. We used it for Kidergarten and first grade it got to where it just didn't seem like enough. The kindergarten was wonderful. We switched over to Bob Jones University Curriculum in second grade and it was way ahead of the My Fathers World. Alot more work and way more time consuming.
my3luvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my3luvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Apr/2010 at 7:35pm

We use Mcruffy Press for my Kindergarten aged dd.  Its great!  I comes with a TM, workbook, posters, flashcards, handwriting, spelling and phonics games.  I have also heard great things about The Reading Lesson.  It also has an interactive CD for the computer that goes along with the lessons. 

www.mcruffy.com

www.thereadinglesson

my3luvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my3luvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Apr/2010 at 7:38pm
sorry, its readinglesson.com 
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2011 at 10:37pm

We are using An Ant - Learn to Read. It starts with the alphabet and then goes right into reading stories, so my dd has not been bored at all. She thinks the stories are funny and she loves the ant characters.

I am glad that it includes some writing practice, unlike some other programs. There aren't any worksheets, but we don't really need them. The flash cards take the place of worksheets, and they are more fun because they involve both of us.

For a little variety, I sometimes spell words with the flashcards. This seems to work really well, because the pictures on the flashcards give a hint as to the sound of the letter... (short a = apple, b=balloons, c=cow, etc.)

We are doing about 1 page a day and at this rate will be done in about 4 months. 

Here's the link: http://www.brodenbooks.com/

kewkew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kewkew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/May/2011 at 10:42pm
A little update, since this thread is over a year old. I
mentioned above about the Abeka readers and the McGuffey
readers and Kay/Wingo. My daughters are now 4 and almost
3. My four year old is reading Level 1 Hello Reader, I
Can Read and Step into Reading Books. I have not used
any set curriculum with her. We used Starfall quite a
lot, learning the letter sounds is so important. We play
a game, "I hear 'mmmm' when I say 'mommy' 'mat' 'moon'"
and so forth. We have used Progressive Phonics, but only
when she was ready. I tried it a couple of times before
and it was too frustrating for both of us. She has also
enjoyed watching the Leap Frog DVD's, specifically Letter
Factory, Talking Words Factory and Word Caper (Talking
Words Factory 2). I am not as fond of the newer ones,
they are definitely geared for younger children. This
year we are going through the alphabet using
readinglessons.com (which is different than
readinglesson.com above). I also use some advice found
in the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons book.
Though so far I haven't gotten either of the girls to
actually use the book (I was curious one day and Tabitha
was able to read a story half way through the book). I
use sandpaper letters and a moveable alphabet with them
to focus on the sound and forming words (I have a bit of
a background in Montessori). Oh, and if you can afford it
I would recommend the morestarfall.com. They have so
much more there. Tabitha really likes the word machine,
where you can build 3 letter CVC words. But there is so
much more (including math). And out of the books I
mentioned above, we are using the ABeka.
MrsDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Oct/2011 at 6:22pm
I used the Orton Phonograms, learn more at this site,for all six of our kids.  Wouldn't change a thing.  I battled through 3 or 4 other phonics programs with my first kiddo, but once I learned about the Riggs Institute, I never looked back. lol

When Ds #5 turned 12, we discovered that he is "learning challenged" by dyslexia and dysgraphia.  After searching the internet for help, I discovered that the most highly recommended program for dyslexic kids is...explicit phonics, such as the Orton phonograms.  Ds was pretty tickled to know that God knew ahead of time that he would need this particular phonics program, and arranged all the details.  God is good!
hannah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Nov/2012 at 10:12pm
Here in Australia is a good phonics program I've used with my kids. They have a new e-book site at www.q-lit.com that you can visit. Their FAQ page is really informative and their stuff is not gimmicky and really works.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic