Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHomeschooling & Swine Flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cathhsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homeschooling & Swine Flu
    Posted: 23/Oct/2009 at 9:06am
I enjoyed this article on the benefits of homeschooling with this H1N1 flu going around.   At least this is one of those areas where the relatives won't get onto us for not having our kids in "school". 
theladyiscrazy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Oct/2009 at 4:18pm

You are so right about that!
discus_sam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Oct/2009 at 7:52am
I think it's still important to get your swine flu shot, though. Being
homeschool definitely reduces the risk, but you can never be too safe when
it comes to your children!   

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Oct/2009 at 8:03am
Yes, but you need to read up on the swine flu shot.  It has never been proven to actually work.  The government is just assuming it does.

Also, the warning literature with the shot specifically state that there is concern for pregnant and children when receiving this vaccine.  As there has been no studies on how it will affect them. 

I believe informed decisions should be made in this arena.

I, personally, will not get any flu shot nor will my children, but then again I have a child on the spectrum and there are auto-immune issues within my family. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Oct/2009 at 8:11am
That's very interesting! I will definitely continue to read up on the
vaccination.

I have heard that if you have asthma you should not take Relenza (the
inhaler), you should just get the shot. It has caused some breathing
complications, and for someone with asthma, that would clearly be an issue.

Well, at least I'll have plenty of time to think about it with the shortage of
shots!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Oct/2009 at 9:27am
Dr. Sears did a great write up on the swine flu vaccine.  Yes, it recommends them (as he recommends most vaccines) but he also gives all the information so a person can decide for themselves.  It gives the different ingredients in the different forms, etc.  I can copy and post the run down version he gave if anyone is interested.  Just the facts that Dr. Sears put forth.
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Oct/2009 at 11:11am
I  Dr. Sears.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Oct/2009 at 11:56am
Originally posted by theladyiscrazy theladyiscrazy wrote:

Dr. Sears did a great write up on the swine flu
vaccine.  Yes, it recommends them (as he recommends most vaccines) but
he also gives all the information so a person can decide for themselves.  It
gives the different ingredients in the different forms, etc.  I can copy and
post the run down version he gave if anyone is interested.  Just the facts that
Dr. Sears put forth.

That would be great! Thank you

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Oct/2009 at 12:09pm

This is LONG!

What You May Want to Know about the H1N1 Vaccine:

The FDA approved four versions of the pandemic H1N1 (or “swine” flu) vaccine. According to Dr. Sears, author of The Vaccine Book, here is the run down on each of these four vaccines:

Sanofi Pasteur’s injected vaccine: Approved for ALL age groups (infants 6 months of age through adulthood and the elderly). It comes in several forms:

Prefilled single ½ dose syringe with NO mercury – for infants 6 thru 35 months of age. Prefilled single full dose syringe with NO mercury – for anyone 3 years and older.
Single-dose (full-dose) vial with NO mercury – for anyone 3 years and older.
Multidose bottle (contains ten full doses or twenty ½ doses) WITH 25 mcg of mercury per full dose – for anyone 6 months and older (infants 6 to 35 months would get a half dose (0.25 ml), 3 years and older would get the full 0.5 ml dose).
Other ingredients include: the viral proteins, egg proteins, gelatin, formaldehyde, polyethylene glycol p-isooctyphenyl ether, sucrose.

CSL’s injected vaccine: Approved for anyone 18 years and older. It comes in two forms:

Prefilled single-dose syringe with NO mercury.
Multidose bottle with ten doses WITH 24.5 mcg of mercury per dose.
Other ingredients include: the viral proteins, sodium chloride, sodium phosphate, potassium phosphate, calcium, taurodeoxycholate, egg protein, 2 antibiotics, and beta-propiolactone.

Novartis’s injected vaccine: Approved for anyone 4 years and older. It comes in two forms:

Prefilled single-dose syringes with a trace amount of mercury (less than 1 mcg because 99% of it is filtered out).
Multidose bottle with ten doses WITH 25 mcg of mercury per dose.

Other ingredients include: the viral proteins, sodium chloride, phosphate, egg proteins, two antibiotics, betapropiolactone, nonylphenol ethoxylate.

MedImmune’s live virus nasal spray vaccine: Approved for anyone 2 years through 49 years of age. There is no mercury.

Other ingredients include: the live viruses, egg protein, MSG, pig gelatin, arginine, sucrose, potassium phosphate, an antibiotic

How many doses are needed?

According to Dr. Sears,  all infants and children from 6 months through 9 years of age are supposed to get two doses of this vaccine, one month apart (no matter what brand you are using, and you probably shouldn’t switch brands between the two doses). This is needed to generate an adequate immune response. Anyone who is 10 years and older only needs ONE dose.

Can doses be given along with other vaccines?

According to Dr. Sears, the product inserts make it very clear that no testing has yet been done on these versions of the flu vaccine to determine if they can be given along with other vaccines. The government is operating under the assumption that these vaccines should behave the same way as their regular seasonal flu vaccine counterparts.

According to Dr. Sears, technically you can get them together (both flu shots together) or with any other vaccine. But Dr. Sears’ advice? Get them alone, as far apart as you can from another flu shot or any other shots. More on this below.

What safety and efficacy testing has been done on these vaccines?

According to Dr. Sears, the product inserts make it very clear that the “swine” flu versions of these vaccines have not undergone any testing to demonstrate whether or not they are safe and whether or not they even work. They are relying on the fact that they are so similar to the regular flu shots that they should work just as well.

What about pregnant and/or nursing mothers?

The flu shots are already recommended for pregnant and nursing moms, BUT (and this is a really huge but), according to Dr. Sears, the vaccine product inserts make it very clear that the regular flu vaccines have never been tested on pregnant or nursing women to determine if there is any harm to fetuses or young babies (with one exception – the ­­­­Flumist nasal spray brand did have some testing in this area, BUT not enough, as is stated in the product insert).

Dr. Sears advises: if you do get a flu shot, make sure it is mercury free (or at least only trace mercury).

What should I get first, regular or swine flu shots, and how do I space them out?

Dr. Sears’ basic advice for anyone is to only get one flu shot at a time, spaced out one month apart. So, it would take 3 months to work in all four doses (2 regular flu and 2 swine flu).

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Dr. Sears, the seasonal flu causes about 20 infant and 100 total pediatric deaths each year in the U.S. The swine flu has so far caused 112 pediatric deaths. So, that’s about the same as the regular flu. From April through the end of July, there were about 43,000 confirmed swine flu cases, with 5000 hospitalizations and about 300 deaths in all ages according to the CDC website.

What about other routine childhood vaccines that are also needed during this time?

Dr. Sears advises parents to delay any vaccines for diseases that don’t pose an immediate danger to a baby’s or child’s life and catch up on those vaccines in Feb or March, a couple months after finishing the flu vaccines. Diseases that aren’t usually life-threatening (keeping in mind that ANY disease can be fatal, but the following are less likely to be) include measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, and Hep A. Diseases that don’t exist in the U.S. or that don’t occur during infancy in the U.S. (so even though they can be very severe, a child has almost no risk of catching it in the U.S.) that could be safely delayed are polio, Hep B, tetanus, and diphtheria (although to get a pertussis vaccine, tetanus and diphtheria have to come along with it).

Diseases that do pose an immediate danger to babies and children are HIB and PC meningitis, Rotavitus, and Pertussis. So, Dr. Sears would rather children stay on time with those four vaccines and delay the flu shots (if you feel comfortable delaying flu shots).

If you want to make sure your child has flu coverage and stays up to date on these other shots, you can stagger them by two weeks.

For teens, Dr. Sears would follow the same guidelines – don’t get flu shot around any of the other routine teen shots like HPV, meningococcal, or Tdap. The only disease here that would be more severe than flu would be meningococcal, so that’s more of a priority.

For more information on ingredients contained in the H1N1 vaccine, please visit the FDA’s site.

For more information about vaccines and candid insight and information from Dr. Sears, please visit Ask Dr. Sears

Should your family experience complications from vaccines, you can file a report at www.vaers.hhs.gov.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Oct/2009 at 12:24pm
Thank You!!!!
Cathhsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Oct/2009 at 6:05am

Crazy, thanks for all the good info.  I have Dr. Sears site up and am planning on exploring it. 

As for the #'s that they, the gov, are reporting in regard to H1N1, I don't trust them.  I have had a mom tell me that the dr told her that they have been told to report all flus as H1N1.  They don't even have it confirmed.  They just treat them as if they are and are told to report them as if they are whether they are or not!  I have even heard this from other people.  So, how do you trust the gov #s when the H1N1 flu #s can be including the regular seasonal flu! 

That is part of why I am not freaking out.  For 1 thing, they don't have enough vacines to go around anyway.  So, it is not like I have to make a decision right now.  Plus, how do we make sure  that our kids get the non-mercury vaccine?  I will be checking into that more since I have some kids with immune issues also.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Oct/2009 at 6:20am
Kim, yes, doctors are just treating all flues as H1N1.  So, the numbers are padded. 

Here is another article where Dr. Sears has stated pregnant women should NOT get this vaccine nor any flu vaccine. 

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vaccine-pregnant-h-262460 7-n-women
kewkew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Oct/2009 at 12:13pm
I will have to say I did an "about-face" and got the H1N1
shot. I was concerned because there had been cases at my
older children's school. My son came home sick and we
went to get him tested for swine flu, which he didn't
have. If I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't have ran straight
to the doctor. I know they say they are treating all flu
as if it is swine flu, but I know from our experience
that they did check to make sure whether it was or
wasn't.
My big concern was that I discovered that the
complications that arise with H1N1 is pneumonia, which I
seem to get once a year anyhow and have such a hard time
getting rid of. I was concerned that with being pregnant
and if I got the swine flu I would be a top candidate for
getting really sick.
And my ob told me she is recommending the shot. And she
told me it was okay to get both in the same day, so I
did. And my entire family that lives in the household is
immunized as well.
HomeOfLove69 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Oct/2009 at 9:04pm

CBS had a news segment about the number of swine flu cases being grossly overstated.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5405872n&tag=api.

I will be passing on the swine flu vaccine. Too much risk (minimally tested) and too little benefit (the swine flu causes a more mild flu than the regular flu.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic