Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2 more newbie questions...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jskisses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 more newbie questions...
    Posted: 24/Jan/2010 at 12:35pm

State testing vs. opting out, and portfolio vs. umbrella...input?

The notice to the schools that I'm filling out asks if we want to be included or excluded from the annual state assessment tests (MSA's here), given in March here in MD.  Not sure what the pros and cons are to taking them or not taking them.  My son does extremely well on them despite the amount of pressure they put on these kids leading up to the tests (not cool for a kid with anxiety issues!)

Also, I have to chose whether we want to be 'parent constructed' and go to portfolio review meetings 2-3 times a year, or do we want to operate under an umbrella.  I still don't quite understand the 'umbrella', the list of non-public entities they provide are mostly churches and the notice says that we agree to be supervised by ths entity.  So would we still be submitting a portfolio for review, just not to the public school system?

Any insight on either would be appreciated!

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Jan/2010 at 7:34pm

This is JMHO, ok?

The less you have to deal with the public school system, the better. Join an umbrella. Also, testing is not required; I say opt out.

jskisses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Jan/2010 at 7:44pm

Thanks!

I did opt out on the testing, he doesn't need the pressure right now.  Maybe for next years test we'll opt in, but I'll admit it's for selfish 'show them up' reasons, by the time they roll around we'll have been HSing for a year and I'd love to let them see how great he'll be doing.  I have no doubt he's going to thrive, today was our first day (even though schools were off today) and we did some loose stuff, mostly life skills and then a 'field trip' and he was great.  I'm waiting for the anxiety to calm some when it sinks in that he doesn't have to go back. 

I went ahead and signed up under portfolio for the rest of this school year and will change that when I figure out the whole umbrella thing here. We kind of sped up the getting started/getting him out of school thing, so I had to make a decision and really didn't have time to search out the umbrella options.  I wish they weren't all (most)church based here. 

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic