Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Enrollment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MaranathaOnline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaranathaOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Enrollment
    Posted: 01/Feb/2010 at 11:46am

Does anyone currently use dual enrollment in your homeschool?

Some of you may ask, "What is dual enrollment?". Dual enrollment is when a high school student takes college courses that count for high school and college credit. You can think of it as a way to get an honors high school course.

HistoryMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoryMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Feb/2010 at 2:26pm

I do not have a student currently dual enrolled but we have used it in the past. We found it to be a great way for our high schooler to get some classroom experience.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaranathaOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Feb/2010 at 10:36am

Thanks for your comment! Dual enrollment is a great idea in order to give your high schooler an idea of what a college classroom will be like before he/she reaches college. It will also give them a head start on their college career, freeing up some time when they do enter college.

HistoryMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoryMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Feb/2010 at 1:21pm

We moved around a lot when our two older kids were in high school and we didn't take advantage as much as we would have liked. I plan to do a lot more dual enrollment and CLEP with the younger two as you can really save money by getting some classes out of the way if you plan carefully.

I didn't realize that I was posting in a specific curriculum forum when I first responded. I am not there yet with my 3rd child but if you would like to tell me how Marantha Online works for dual enrollment, I always like to know of another possibility.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaranathaOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Feb/2010 at 2:19pm

I'd love to tell you a little about Maranatha Online for
high school students. . .
At Maranatha Online, we allow juniors and seniors in high school to take college courses. You can also apply for high school scholarships that give you 50% off the college tuition pricing for a course. All of our courses are 100% on-line so your high schooler can take their course anytime and anywhere. To read more about our online program for high school students you can visit our website- http://www.mbbc.edu/online/College-For-High-School-Students. aspx

Edited by MaranathaOnline
zengjing0813 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zengjing0813 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jul/2010 at 11:45pm
I do not have a student currently dual enrolled
ledlauzis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledlauzis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Aug/2010 at 4:27am
Thanks for the comment! Dual enrollment is really a excellent concept in order to provide your higher schooler an concept of what a university classroom is going to be like prior to he/she reaches university. It'll also give them a head begin on their university career, freeing up some time once they do enter university.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Aug/2010 at 10:37am

Make sure dual enrollment is right for your kids. Some considerations are:

1. In our state you must pay for books, and they are not cheap. Typical textbooks cost about $75 used.

2. Your kids will be with 18-21 year olds, so you need to decide if this is a good fit.

3.You need to determine if your kids are mature enough for this challenge.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaranathaOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 8:01am

Jackhaydon,

Thank you for your concerns. All of those are great considerations.

At Maranatha Online very few if any of our textbooks will cost that much.

A lot of our basic freshman level courses such as New Testament Survey and English Composition I are usually made up entirely of high school students. This is a great way for students to make friends in a friendly, Christian environment.

Parents should definitely assess if they feel their student is ready for college courses or not. We always suggest that our students begin with only one online course. That way they can see if online college learning is right for them. Most of the freshman level classes are no harder then the students everyday high school courses.

Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions.

Amanda
online@mbbc.edu

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 9:49am

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the info!

Jack

CNBarnes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 11:35am
Just a datapoint

All 3 of our daughters did dual enrollment with the local Jr College during their junior & senior years.   At least for Blinn Jr College, dual enrollment was MUCH cheaper than normal college classes (by about a 1/3).  

Since they only took 1 class per semester (actually, the youngest did 2 classes her last senior semester), it was a good transition to get them into college life. 

Come to think of it - all of them had at least 1 classmate during their classes that was from another homeschool family doing dual enrollment as well....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaranathaOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Aug/2010 at 9:09am

Mr. Barnes,

Thank you for your input!

Taking college courses in high school will not only help you to get ahead, but will also save you a ton of money. We give all of our online students a 50% off tuition discount on every online course they take. So while saving money on tuition, you will also be saving money on room/board for the future by getting a head start on college.

It's great to see families who have sucessfully taken advantage of dual enrollment for their children.

DKVJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKVJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2010 at 3:48am

I currently have one son enrolled in dual credit online.  It is great for him.  He is enjoying the challenge of the course, and likes the ease of doing the coursework online.  He is also very pleased with the idea that he will have a semester out of the way by the time he gets to college. 

I had not heard of Maranatha, but will check into it for other children

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaranathaOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2010 at 9:11am

Hi DKVJ,

Thank's for your comment! That is great that your son will have a semester out of the way before even entering college. Our students love getting ahead for several reasons. Some finish college early, have lighter semesters, or have time to take extra credits that are fun or interesting to them. Plus, all of our high school students recieve 50% off tution which saves them a ton of money in the long run.

If you are looking for online courses taught from a Christian worldview with Christian faculty, feel free to let me know and I'll send you more information.

Amanda Call
online@mbbc.edu

txfamilyof7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txfamilyof7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Sep/2010 at 8:33pm
I've been thinking about it for my oldest, who will be a junior next year. But, I don't think our family will be able to afford it. :-(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaranathaOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Sep/2010 at 8:51am

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for your comment! Yes, college is very expensive! That is why we give our high school students 50% off tuition with our high school scholarships. This is a great investment because you are not only paying half the price for the same college credit, but also saving a ton of money by not paying room and board. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in knowing more about

Amanda Call
online@mbbc.edu

sfhdweb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfhdweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2010 at 10:51pm

no i  dont  have dual  enrollment.

jessica12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessica12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2012 at 6:12am
Dual enrollment is positively associated with the likelihood that students – both the full sample of students and the subset involved in career and technical education -- will earn a high school diploma, initially enroll in a four-year institution, enroll full-time and persist in college to a second semester.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic