Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with 9th grade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keeping2peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeping2peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with 9th grade
    Posted: 12/Feb/2010 at 9:48am

I'm looking for advice on English/Literature/Essay Writing for 9th grade.  If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Keeping2peace

hscoach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hscoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Feb/2010 at 1:43pm

In our homeschool we read classics for Literature. If you want your teen to read classics, here is one list for 9th grade to give you some ideas. (I'm sure you can find other lists online too.)

http://classiclit.about.com/od/highschoolreading/a/9thgrade_ reading.htm

For essay writing, I have a book that I love called 501 Writing Prompts. Here is a link for it -

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Prompts-LearningExpress-Skill- Builder/dp/1576854388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid =1266356515&sr=1-1

Hope this helps.

mac68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mac68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Feb/2010 at 4:19pm
I would also suggest looking at Jensen's Format Writting. That worked very well for sd.  For literature I would suggest using Novel Units or Progeny Press guides.  Both have a  variety of books (Progeny Press is Christian while Novel Units is secular but they have more books) so you can choose them to go along with your child's history course or just books you think they would enjoy.  Another suggestion would be Total Language Plus.
MrsDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Oct/2011 at 6:35pm
For 9th grade level writing, I recommend Wordsmith Apprentice.  It's purely a writing course, not literature. 

My recommendation for a Lit. class is to read good literature.  You can find great recommended reading lists online.  We've been going through the Bob Jones Literature book, just because we already had it and it gives a good overview of the concept of literature. 

The ideas from the other posters look good, too.   Sounds like you have lots of options to choose from!
singingmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 4:10pm
We use Total Language Plus, it works best for us!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic