Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTexas Sports/UIL participation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BaileyMae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texas Sports/UIL participation
    Posted: 06/Aug/2010 at 12:07pm

Hi all

I am wanting to homeschool my 3 kiddos and the only thing keeping me from fully committing is whether my 8th grader will be able to continue playing for the team at the PS. I contacted the head coach and gave him the info I had found on this forum, & he was very nice and helpful but went straight to the uil for clarification and of course came back with a no and the standard uil response quoting UIL regs.  I just can't get past the fact that the TEA codes seem to say something different!

Needless to say, we are all pretty devestated.  Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do from here?  I know there are probably some really great homeschool leagues in our area, but my son doesn't just want to play, he wants to play with the friends he's been on a team with for the past 4 years. 

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

jjloehr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Aug/2010 at 12:12pm
I'm in a similar situation. What school district are you in?
CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 1:14pm
What your son is expressing is very typical - kids never want to move on and develop new friendships.   Be the parent.   It's no different than if you had to move to a new city - things change.  Kids don't understand that - adults do.

The UIL director is quite correct in their "no".  And if you think about it, you should be able to see why - if schools allowed homeschoolers to play w/ public schools, cheating would be rampant.   It's bad enough as it is (schools have been known to PAY parents to move into a new district just so their kid can play on their team).  Note that the governing body for private schools (TAPPS) changed their rules a couple of years ago to match UIL - for the same reason (cheating - private schools were recruiting homeschoolers).

CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 1:18pm
I will be up front and tell you I am very biased - my wife & I both ran a local (Bryan/College Station) homeschool athletic program for several years.  It was extremely distressing to see us work our tails off to put together athletic teams, schedule games, practices, etc only to see the cream of the athletic crop get skimmed off by private schools.   The ones that got hurt the most by it were the KIDS on the teams that got left behind.

As a homeschooler - I WANT those UIL and TAPPS rules to be strict.
jjloehr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 1:24pm
Chris,

I've read all of your posts on this topic and am pretty familiar with your views. I appreciate your effort to create a viable alternative for the kids in your area.

I'd really like to followup w/ "dezzed" on some of his posts, but he seems to be no longer active on this site. Do you have any way of getting a message to him and asking him to contact me? You have my permission to give him/her my contact info.

Thanks much.
BaileyMae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 2:34pm

Hi jjloehr,

Sorry for the delay in response...we were out of town.  We are in an extremely small district SE of San Antonio.  I will definitely keep you posted if we do indeed find something else out.  As for this year, my kids are going to continue with the PS, at least for now , kinda feel like I started looking into all of it a little too late anyway.

Good luck to you :)

Hi CNBarnes,

I feel a little put down by your unhelpful comment to "be the parent".  Excuse me, that is what I have been doing for the past 13 years.  My husband & I have always done what we feel is best for our children from the littlest things like the food they eat every day up to the enormous decision to move 800 miles away from all our family & everything familiar to them so I could be a stay at home mom.  So, my children are very familiar with change & adapt EXTREMELY well, oh the stories I could tell. 

We also moved to this small town with the hope that our children could make some life-long friendships, which we feel they have started to do.  My decision to homeschool was based on the fact that I knew in my heart of hearts that I could do things better than the school while spending cherished time with my family.  I actually have very few complaints regarding the district other than the instructional time wasted during the school day that mainly occurs in the elementary school.  Which brings me to my 8th grader....I love the jr high he is in as well as the principal, and only considered homeschooling him because of what I stated above, more family time, and felt it was a little unfair to homeschool the little ones while he still had to go to school everyday and feel left out. 

I too, had read several of your posts regarding uil participation and realized that you definitely were biased.  I applaud all it seems you & your wife have done and can understand the reasons for your frustration as I have been involved in trying to get organizations off the ground.  However, I was pretty clear in my original post that homeschool leagues were not an option for us, and I don't understand your need to attack my ability to parent because I am not wanting to homeschool YOUR way.  Isn't the whole beauty of homeschooling in Texas that we can choose whatever curriculum & teaching style we feel is best for our children??  You really could have just remained silent on the issue, at the very least you should have been polite in your suggestion of what has worked best for you, all the while stroking your ego stating in yet another post how YOU were instrumental in creating an awesome homeschool league. 

This is the reason I never post things in forums...people who feel the need to interject personal opinions rather than just offer ideas or helpful advice that have worked for them in the past.  I only posted on this site because I had seen dezzed's success story and was hoping to get more information on how to make mine a success also.

Anyway, keep up the good fight, I'm sure many children have had a wonderful time in your league, just please respect those of us who choose to raise our children a little differently than you.

BaileyMae :) 

BaileyMae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 2:42pm

Oh, and p.s. CN, it is not my son expressing the need to remain connected with  his friends, it is something all of us feel is important...please don't judge for goodness sakes....

And, as hard as it may be for you to believe, I do understand why the UIL has such strict regs, what I don't understand is why the TEA codes seem to say something completely different regarding participation.  When I saw that dezzed's children had played for the PS, I thought it might be beneficial to my son to get more info on how they made it happen.  Sheesh 

jjloehr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 5:31pm
Very interesting- did you know a bill was up in both houses last year to provide home school access explicitly to public school extra curricular programs? The house version died in "pending" status. The senate bill made it into the Public Education committee and died there...
jjloehr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 5:31pm
Senate bill 1831
House bill 1829
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 9:31pm

One of the problems getting bills like that is that "homeschool" is not recognized in all states, via law or court cases. California, for example, doesn't have homeschoolers; it has private schoolers. New Jersey doesn't say anything about "homeschoolers" one way or the other. Texas doesn't have a statute; it has a court case that says that homeschools are equivalent to private schools. In cases like that, homeschoolers would still be left out. It would only be effective in states like North Carolina or Pennsylvania which has specific homeschool statutes.

It's a bummer.

CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Aug/2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by BaileyMae BaileyMae wrote:

I applaud all it seems you & your wife have done and can understand the reasons for your frustration as I have been involved in trying to get organizations off the ground.  However, I was pretty clear in my original post that homeschool leagues were not an option for us,

They weren't an option for us until we MADE it an option.

Quote and I don't understand your need to attack my ability to parent because I am not wanting to homeschool YOUR way.

Because what you are wanting to do damages both public school athletics AND homeschool athletics.   I worked too hard and for too long to not say something when someone is trying to do something I worked so hard to create.

If that upsets you - oh well.

keystone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Aug/2010 at 7:51am

I have lived in a few states, looked at the laws of other states, and as far as extra-curricular participation goes for Home school students, Texas as gone from the worst to the best. Texas is an EQUAL ACCESS STATE. Participation and Eligibility laws are outstanding for HS parents in Texas.  

THSC, HSLD neither one will be helpful. I do not know of a single home school association in Texas that would help you get your child into any PS area. HSLD is not in the business of getting your children back into the PS activities. The new laws in Texas fully protect the rights of all parents and students in Texas. Texas home school parents no longer need the HSLD or the THSC. Social networking, teaching aids, discounts – yes.

Jjloehr, I think the bills you are talking about were pushed by THSC and touted as Home School extra-curricular participation bill. They were terrible bills that would have – from the THSC – given back to the school district the authority to determine the eligibility of home school students. If THSC and HSLD would push for a bill that penalized school districts/superintendents for not obeying the law I would be all for it. But never to give back the control to the school district. 

jjloehr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Aug/2010 at 11:04am
Keystone,

Please let me know where you've specifically seen school districts allow/honoring the law as you describe? I've got dezzed's notes, but really need some specific examples.

I totally agree with you about those 2 bills, and have even spoken with the state representatives about it.

Please email if you will: jjloehr @ pobox.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic