1. Homeschooling is life changing. It creates personal growth for both the parent and the child. You get a chance to re-discover your own special genius, while helping your children to find theirs. Nothing you will ever do will have a more profound effect on your children and your family’s future than homeschooling.
2. You are qualified to homeschool your children if you love to read to them, love to spend time with them, love to explore the world with them, love to see them learn new things and, most importantly, love them. Again, don’t doubt your ability!
3. Children love to learn. They have an innate desire to explore the world and examine what they find interesting. Children learn by following their interests, with one interest leading to another. Homeschooling families learn together, making learning a life-long process.
4. Homeschooling is legal everywhere in the United States, but homeschooling laws vary from state to state. The three basic categories for homeschooling laws are: home education laws, private school laws, and equivalency laws. The best way to learn about your state’s laws is to contact a local support group in your area. To locate a representative from your state, please visit our list of local homeschooling groups by visiting www.Homeschool.com. Homeschool group leaders are well versed in your state’s particular laws and regulations and can be a great resource for you.
5. It does not take six to eight hours per day to homeschool your child. A significant amount of time at school is spent waiting. Design a plan that works for your family and be prepared to revise it several times or even start over. Don’t sacrifice your family’s happiness to “school” your children. There are many different ways that families can homeschool – find what works for you and your family. Think outside of the box, and where necessary, consult with homeschooling/learning specialists.
6. Your child will not become a social misfit. Children do not need to be socialized in a large group of same-age children to become well adjusted socially; it is quite the opposite. Most parents want their children to learn their social graces from adults, not other children. Homeschoolers have healthy relationships with people of all ages, including the new mother next door, the retired couple who loves to garden, their friends at ballet, 4-H and Karate and, most importantly, their parents.
7. Don’t be afraid to teach Algebra or high-level math courses! When your child is ready for these courses, there are numerous options to assist you if your knowledge is not up-to-speed. Explore the many resources available to help your child learn high-level math skills: in a community college class, with a tutor, through a textbook, or with a program such as ALEKS. ALEKS is a research-based online math program that provides highly-targeted, individualized assessment and learning for grades 3-12. With a robust course library, ALEKS offers the instruction and support that you need to homeschool your children in mathematics. ALEKS is accessible from virtually any computer with Internet access, making it a comprehensive and mobile education solution for your children.
8. You will question yourself a lot, maybe even several times a day in the beginning. This is normal. Find a fellow homeschooling friend for support. Remind each other that it’s okay to feel that your children didn’t seem to learn anything on a given day. They did, and so did you! Even professional teachers question themselves sometimes!
9. Thousands of homeschooling families are able to make the money they need, while also homeschooling their children. Whether you create a family business or dream job, or restructure your current job, your children will learn the most important skill of all – how to create the life of their dreams.
10. Trust in your children. They learned how to love, smile, crawl, walk, talk, run, dress themselves, and understand their world before starting school, and they will continue to grow and learn through homeschooling.
Overall, it is important to approach homeschooling with the proper knowledge and support system, while providing your children with the information that they need to succeed in college and beyond. A strong curriculum is the vital base for any homeschool, and can provide you with peace of mind that your children’s learning needs are being met. In mathematics, many homeschoolers use ALEKS (Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces) as a core curriculum or supplement to meet these needs.
ALEKS is a Web-based program that uses artificial intelligence and adaptive questioning to assess your child’s knowledge and deliver individualized instruction on the exact topics that she is most ready to learn. As a result, ALEKS targets gaps in student skills and enables immediate success in learning new material, allowing your child to build tremendous learning momentum. Students receive a personalized learning path that adapts to many diverse homeschool approaches, while parents benefit from the assessment tools and robust reporting features available in the ALEKS Master Account.
Personalized Learning Path: The ALEKS Pie summarizes a student’s current knowledge and offers topics that the student is ready to learn next. The darkened portion of each pie slice represents the topics that the student has mastered and the lighter portion represents what the student has yet to learn.
Master Account: Easily manage all student accounts and monitor student progress through automated reports, such as the Student Attendance Report.
ALEKS has been used successfully by homeschoolers, as well as by millions of students at schools and educational institutions throughout the world. Additionally, some ALEKS course products are American Council on Education (ACE) credit-recommended, meaning that your student may be eligible for college credit at participating colleges.
ALEKS is a Research-Based Online Math Program:
- Complete Curriculum Solution for Math with Access to Full Course Library
- No Textbook Required
- Artificial Intelligence Targets Gaps in Student Knowledge
- Assessment and Individualized Learning for Grades 3-12
- Master Account Includes Quizzing and Automated Reports to Monitor Learning Progress
- Unlimited Online Access – PC and Mac Compatible
- QuickTables – Complimentary Math Fact Mastery Program for Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction
Here is what some successful homeschoolers have to say about ALEKS:
“ALEKS is the next best thing to having a math tutor in your home every day, and–by far–more affordable! I have been thrilled with this program; it takes so much of the stress off of Mom…you know exactly where your student stands, and what is needed to complete the job. ALEKS has made a huge difference for us!”
–Christy L., Homeschooler, GA
Read Full Blog Review
“My daughter loves ALEKS, and is self-motivated to keep going in the program – the pie chart is doing the trick! ALEKS also assures me that she is meeting our state’s standards, and I no longer have to grade. WHEW! We love ALEKS like I never dreamed! If you can’t conquer your fear of math, give it to ALEKS! No more math fears!”
– Cheryl McDunnell, Homeschooler, OH