Multiplying by 10 is easy! Multiplying by 9 is too! You can do it with your fingers!
Place your two hands in front of you.
On your left hand–
- 1X9=9, Fold down your pinky–how many fingers remain? NINE
- 2X9=18, Fold down the second finger, the ring finger of your left hand. What is the configuration now of your fingers? ONE and EIGHT!
- 3X9=27, Fold down the third finger–you’ll have TWO and SEVEN fingers showing.
- 4X9=36, Fold down the fourth finger–you’ll have THREE and SIX fingers showing.
- 5X9=45, Fold down the fifth digit–the thumb–and you’ll have Four and FIVE fingers showing.
- 6X9=54, Fold down the sixth digit–the thumb of the right hand and you’ll have FIVE and FOUR showing.
- This works all the way up through ten–with the little finger bent down on the right hand, you have NINE fingers and ZERO fingers showings.
It’s fun. It’s easy. And your little ones will love it!
Fun learning is forever learning!
(1) Spread your two hands out and place them on a desk or table in front of you.
(2) To multiply by 3, fold down the 3rd finger from the left. To multiply by 4, it would be the 4th finger and so on.
(3) the answer is 27 … READ it from the two fingers on the left of the folded down finger and the 7 fingers on the right of it.
This works for anything up to 9×10!