This month, my children learned the following regarding the registration of a vehicle–
- Some transactions can occur online–you don’t need to go to the DMV and wait in line
- To register a vehicle, sometimes you need to have it smogged first
- The smog process is actually interesting. If the smog technician has the time, he can explain the process to you
- The smog shop sends the results electronically to the DMV. Provided you start early enough, you can then complete your registration online
- If your address is not up to date, and you do everything else in a timely manner, you may STILL have to go into the DMV
- When you can’t complete your business online, it’s wise to make an appointment–appointments save time
After this lesson, I’m pretty sure, my kids will smog their cars a month prior to registration and they will make sure their addresses are up to date.
This was not a particularly fun lesson–but it was an important one!