St. Patrick’s Day is on March 17th–what a great opportunity to teach about American history; the impact of Irish immigrants; Ellis Island; Irish culture – music, art, poetry; and so much more.
Did you know-
- St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Trinity to Irish non-Christians
- There are 34.5 million people who claim Irish ancestry in America
- There are over 7 times more people of Irish descent in the United States than the entire population of Ireland
- A young Irish woman was the first person to pass through Ellis Island once it was an immigration station. Her name was Annie Moore.
- The total number of immigrants that have entered the United States through Ellis Island — around 12 million.
- Oscar Wilde, William Butler Yeats, Samuel Beckett, and James Joyce are all Irish poets
- A famous Irish saying-“May you have the hindsight to know where you’ve been, The foresight to know where you are going, And the insight to knowwhen you have gone too far”
What would you like to teach/learn about St. Patrick’s Day/Irish America? The possibilities are endless!