The Write Foundation Product Review
The Write Foundation offers instruction for multiple writing levels as developed complete lesson plans which are perfect for homeschool students. Bible verse copy work is part of each lesson in the entry level and Christian scriptures are used throughout every level. The entry level focuses on improving sentence writing skills. Students then develop paragraph and essay writing skills beginning with basic organization, drilling the fundamentals of brainstorm, outline, rough draft, edit and final draft. The curriculum, written by a veteran home educator and tested extensively in individual and co-op settings, works for reluctant, average, and gifted writers in helping them develop and improve their sentence and essay writing skills.
The Write Foundation has 4 stages of curriculum available, and each level can be completed in 1 or 2 years –
- Entry Level: Creating Sentences for ages 8 – 12 prepares students for formal paragraph writing by teaching students how to develop better sentences with basic grammar and figures of speech, while dealing with common writing errors such as when is a noun proper, misused homonyms, and apostrophe confusion. Each lesson uses writing activities and fun games, which develop and advance students’ creative writing abilities and other writing skills.
- Level 1: Sentence to Paragraph for ages 10 – 14, focuses on using the writing process and structure for developing a basic paragraph.
- Level 2: Paragraph Writing for ages 12 – 16, begins by reviewing the writing process and structure for a basic paragraph, transitioning into formal paragraph writing, and then introducing and writing a formal college level 5-paragraph essay.
- Level 3: Essay Writing for ages 14 – 18, begins with 3 and 4-paragraph formal narrative writing, reviews and then develops the writing process and structure for formal college level essays, which are 5+ paragraphs, leading into step-by-step development of a formal research paper and ending with practicing timed essays. This is a high school level homeschool course.
What I like about the various programs:
- They were developed by a homeschooler. The curriculum is a result of 8+ years of successfully teaching homeschooled students. It’s been modified and tweaked throughout the years – it’s ready for your family.
- The courses easily fit a variety of teaching settings. TWF can be used one-on-one or with more than one student of varying ages in a homeschool setting. It also works well with multiple students in a homeschool co-op setting.
- The courses equip the teacher with detailed lesson plans, grading specifics and other teaching tools for home and co-op settings. You have everything you need.
- The courses cover all of the basics, beginning with the writing process, how a student formulates a topic, develops supporting points, and more.
- Repetition of the basics reinforces the concepts until they are learned. I’m a fan of repetition, especially when first tackling a concept/skill.
- The basics are taught in a fun way – there are many games (the Entry level course includes a game in every lesson. In levels 1 – 3, there are several lessons with games in each level) and because of this, the repetition isn’t boring.
- The games work great for a co-op but can also be modified for a single student, and suggestions on how to do this are included.
- Creativity is a big part of the lessons. For instance, word embellishment can be very fun!
- The lessons encourage brainstorming, a great skill to have.
- So far…creativity….brainstorming…FUN….what’s not to like?
- Plus, poetry is also included in the lessons. Poetry allows the creative juices to flow as students learn how to work with words to say things concisely and quite effectively while expressing their thoughts about a variety of topics.
- MindBender ® books from Critical Thinking are part of the Level 1-3 lessons! I LOVE MindBender® books! Personally, I use them for fun, and to keep my brain sharp.
- If you need help in determining the right level for your student, you can find free samples and a free online placement test with free evaluations at http://thewritefoundation.org/course-selection/.
- The courses are affordable.
- You can try the first two lessons of each level for free to see if you like a course. I always appreciate a “test-drive”.