It’s that time of year again, where we begin thinking about homeschool conventions, new curriculum programs, and more. Homeschool.com has been the leader in homeschooling information for over 20 years, and we wouldn’t miss an opportunity to attend a convention! Below, you’ll find our itinerary for Great Homeschool Conventions 2018.
Get Ready for the Road Trip of the Year!
Spring has almost sprung and with it will be another round of homeschool conventions for the year! For homeschooling parents, this is always an exciting time of year. We get to touch that curriculum we’ve been eyeballing and smell the crisp new pages of new books! We also get to listen to some of the best speakers in the nation all in one spot. What more could a homeschooling family want?
This year, our road trip will take us all over the country. One of the first stops we’ll be making on our journey will be
in the Southeast region of Greenville, SC March 8-10, 2018. From there, we’ll be heading to Houston, TX March 15-17, 2018. Jamie Gaddy will be speaking on topics to do with “parenting, working, and homeschooling.” If you can make it to one of these conventions, we guarantee you’ll be pleased!
We’ll continue our tour through the Midwest region by stopping in Cincinnati, OH April 12-14, 2018. As we head toward the west coast, we’ll stop in Ontario, CA June 14-16, 2018. Our very own Rebecca Kochenderfer will be the face of Homeschool.com at these convention pit stops! Finally, we’ll wrap up our road trip in St. Charles, MO July 19-21, 2018. We’ll have a booth set up in the Parenting track room, and hope that you’ll stop by for a chat (and a few awesome giveaways!).
As with any great trek worth navigating, there are tips for getting through homeschool conventions!
- Go with a friend who’s been before. If it’s your first time going to a homeschool convention, you’ll want to go with someone who knows the ropes. If possible, therefore, bring along someone who has been before. This person will be able to guide you to the best possible things to do with your time and money and will hopefully keep you from misspending yours.
- Do your homework! Before you attend the convention, have some idea of what you’re looking for and what you’ll want to see at the convention. Know which curriculum products you’re going to want to get your hands on and which ones you’ll let pass. You can only know this by doing some advanced prep work. Start by looking at home at online samples. This way, when you get to the convention, you’ll know exactly what you’re looking at and what you like/dislike about certain programs.
- Set a budget and stick to it. If you’re not great at sticking to budgets, this is where bringing a friend along can also help.
It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of another year of curriculum previews, great speakers, and meeting new friends. Just don’t forget some of the most important things:
- A rolling cart or suitcase on wheels – While convention makes a great time to buy next year
- ’s curriculum, you definitely don’t want to spend the day lugging around all your great finds! Make this task easier by bringing along a rolling cart or an enclosed suitcase on wheels.
- A three-ring binder, pens, pencils, etc. – You’ll want a place to keep track of all your homeschool convention swag, and a three-ring binder (including a pencil pouch that goes inside) is a useful thing to bring around. You’ll have a place to keep your notes, to organize your notes, and a price point comparison (if you do your homework in advance and print up the online prices of items you’re interested in). Wondering what else you should keep in your binder? Here’s a FREE homeschool convention printable pack that will help you stay organized for the big weekend.