Backed by data from reputed sources, these charts provide a great insight into where opportunities lie for our children. Learning to code provides your children with the skills needed to capitalize on these opportunities.
- Computing jobs are the #1 source of new wages in the US
There are an estimated 500,000 current job openings in the computing field today. These jobs are in every industry and in every state. They are projected to grow at twice the rate of all other jobs.
- The STEM Opportunity is in computer science
Despite the significant focus on STEM, what is missed out is that 71% of all new STEM jobs are in computing. However, only 8% of STEM graduates are in computing. This mismatch creates significant opportunities for children with a computing background.
- Computer science graduates earn 40% more than other college graduates
It is a lucrative field to be working in. The average lifetime earnings of a computer science graduate is 40% more than other college graduates. The gap between demand and supply continues to increase resulting in increases in wages for people with computing skill.
- Learning to code appeal peaks in middle school
This is important, particularly for girls. During middle school, children are more open to learning new skills, tend to believe computing as cool and the gender stereotypes haven’t set in that hard. 79% of working professionals got their first serious exposure to coding in middle school.
- Most parents want their child to learn computer science
More and more parents are seeing the broader trend and want their child to learn computer science. Since most schools don’t offer it, parents are enrolling their children in supplemental coding programs for their children to acquire these skills.
- 204% increase in students taking high-school computer science courses
There was a 204% increase in the # of students taking AP computer science in high-school. Students are starting to recognize the value of a high-school computer science courses. It leads to a future in 130 career areas and 48 college majors.
- Computer Science is integrating into every college major. As computing enters every aspect of model life, the college education is also starting to reflect that. Some of the recent advances in many fields are being powered by the integration of computing to those fields. Watch this video to see what your child can expect to see when they get into college.
- Coding helps bring ideas to life
Some of the big companies that we know today are being founded by individuals who knew how to code. When they know how to code, an idea doesn’t die after a conversation. They build a basic version and see how people react to it. When there is a positive response, they build on it. Airbnb, Instacart, and Dropbox were all built that way. By giving them the skill of coding, you can give wings to your child’s ideas.
- Many emerging fields are driven by software
The exciting fields over the next 10-20 year that our children will make their careers in are all driven by software. Knowing how to code gives them an edge to thrive in these jobs of the future.
These charts and the data contained in them illustrate that coding skills are crucial for your child to thrive in a world surrounded by technology. For further resources and ideas on getting your child started with coding education, please explore the Codewizards program.