Homeschool for Free: History/Social StudiesAugust 2, 2018
Are you ready to teach your child history or social studies this year? Worried about what to cover, how to know when to do it, or how to make it fun? There is so much more than just memorizing dates. There are so many great options in a history/social studies curriculum. This year, don’t spend a ton of money on it. Instead, look around at the various ways in which you can teach these topics at no cost, and let history come alive!
Teaching Homeschool History/Social Studies for Free
Once again, we’ve done the research for you and found many curriculum options for you to choose from to teach your children history/social studies for FREE! See what we’ve collected this time!
- As always, Easy Peasy offers a FREE homeschool curriculum for grades K-12. We thought we’d include it here specifically for their free social studies offerings.
- Clickschooling offers free homeschool curriculum videos in several subject areas including the social sciences.
- Student’s Friend is a guide to teaching world history and geography for grades 8-12 with a downloadable textbook, lesson plans, quizzes, and more!
- Homeschool Creations teaches geography through printables, lesson plans, and downloadable fact sheets for grades 1-6.
- Joy and Valor Life offers a free U.S. History curriculum in two parts – up to the Civil War, and from the Civil War to the present – for high school.
- Digital History uses new technology to enhance teaching and research. They offer an online textbook, quizzes, lesson plans, and much more.
- YAPA Kids uses online classes for grades 1-8 that are taught by qualified high school students.
- American Heritage offers several programs that you can use to supplement lessons in American History.
- America’s Heritage: An Adventure In Liberty – this is a full K-12 curriculum that’s been teacher-tested. The book has a fee but the PDF pages are free.
- If you have competitive students on your hand, they may enjoy the American History and Western Civilization social studies challenge bowl!
- Miracle of America provides insight on American History from a Biblical point of view.
- Free World U offers a FREE online homeschool curriculum for grades K-12. You do have to register to see all of their offerings, but it’s available on a “Basic” plan for free and with other plans at cost.
- Eyewitness to History is definitely a site to bookmark! If you’re looking for eyewitness accounts and primary documents to supplement your high school social studies program, this is the site for you!
Teaching history or social studies in your homeschool is actually quite simple! With the plan that most people follow, you’ll know what to cover each year and how to get it done simply. Bonus: you can even include primary sources – such as original documents – in your studies all at NO cost to you!