You have a headache. You feel groggy. Fatigued. It’s not quite warm enough outside and your allergies are transforming into something miserable. The kids are loud, whining, fighting, and bored. You’re nearly out of household essentials, and we don’t even want to think about the toilet paper situation. It feels like Week #1000 of this social distancing quarantine, and health experts are saying it’s more important now than ever to stay home. You still see large groups of people playing at the basketball court or nearby field and feel a simmering resentment because you are heeding these difficult instructions and they are not.
Thoughts race through your mind. How long is this going to last? How on earth are you supposed to make it through another weekend locked at home? Perhaps your anxiety has taken a turn and is running wild, maybe even keeping you up at night.
I get it. It’s a rough time, and that’s putting it lightly. It’s easy to feel discouraged or at your wit’s end. To help, we have compiled a list of new weekend kids’ activities for you. I know you need fresh ideas. So, as you consider how to make this weekend fun for kids, choose an easier option and try these suggestions!
Our Top 10 Ideas for a Family Weekend at Home
Family weekend activities can be some of the best opportunities for creating cherished memories together. I know we are all starting to go stir-crazy after several weeks of social distancing. We are itching for new activities during this prolonged quarantine! I feel like all I have on my Pinterest board anymore is kids’ crafts, but I’m starting to run out of steam for those too. So, I was thinking, sometimes it’s just good to go back to the basics. Activities for kids do not need to be elaborate or expensive. Some of my best childhood memories were simple family weekend activities filled with laughter. To that extent, here are some classic weekend kid activities for your family to enjoy!
- Family Bike Ride. Social distancing doesn’t mean you can’t go on a bike ride. Enjoy the fresh spring weather while getting some exercise!
- Wash the Cars. A weekend at home is the perfect chance to grab the buckets, sponges, soap, and wash the cars together. Have fun with the soap bubbles and water!
- Home Karaoke Night. Karaoke is always a fun idea. Whether you just play YouTube videos on your computer or TV, or you use a home karaoke system, you can all have a fun night of belting out your favorite songs.
- Wii Bowling Tournament. Playing the Wii is a great idea for a weekend in. Better yet, make it a tournament and compete for a prize, for example, a choice of a family movie, home-cooked dinner, or free pass from a weekly chore.
- Easter Homeschool Activities for Kids. It is Easter Sunday weekend, and we have lots of activities, printables, and crafts to celebrate the fun!
- Bury a Time Capsule. Choose a household item to use as a time capsule, a pencil box or old coffee can, for example, and have everyone contribute to making a time capsule! Then, bury it in your backyard for someone else to eventually find.
- Create an Emergency Escape Plan. It is important to have a fire escape plan in case of an emergency. Create a plan with a list of essential items to grab, dependent on the immediacy of the event, along with an escape route and meeting point.
- Complete a Home DIY. Weekends at home are perfect for working on a DIY project together. Perhaps you’d like to install floating shelves, build a bookcase, or decorate an accent wall in your home. Regardless of your ideas, now is a good chance to get it done together!
- Plant a Garden. It’s spring, which means garden-planting season! Are you a flower or a vegetable gardener? Perhaps both? Either way, keep up the social distancing by grabbing your gardening tools and planting seeds!
- Declutter for Charity Donations. We’ve all been spring cleaning for a few weeks and our homes have probably never been cleaner. What about minimizing and decluttering, though? Go through your closets, cabinets, and cupboards for unused items to donate!
Bored or Desperate? Stay at Home Resources for Homeschoolers
Nerves starting to fray in your home? Same. Weeks upon weeks at home have led to frustrations, arguments, whining, and maybe even some crying. Dear homeschool mom (or dad!), we’re all in the same boat. We’re all in this together. For some new weekend fun for kids, here is a list of our best suggestions and ideas for quarantined homeschoolers. Family weekend activities are important for keeping fights to a minimum and making it through this lockdown. We want to still enjoy each other in a few months, right?! Here’s to weekend fun for kids. Stay safe, friends!
Courtney Newman is a homeschool graduate with a love for writing. She is also currently pursuing her undergraduate degree in Health Science at University of the People. Other than writing, her hobbies include reading, yoga, visiting the beach, and meditating. She lives with her husband and pets in Virginia.