10 Tips for Raising Daughters
We’ve all heard – “That’s not ladylike!” or “Little girls shouldn’t behave like that.” Teaching girls to be strong yet embrace their femininity is not easy! There’s no doubt about it – raising daughters just isn’t the same as raising sons. Here are some great tips for raising that special little lady in your home:
- Make sure your daughter knows she’s well-loved.
- Help your daughter to love what she’s got and learn to work with it.
- Teach your daughter that physical features aren’t the definition of beauty – that what’s inside is what really matters.
- Guide your daughter in the appropriate ways of defending herself both physically and verbally.
- Encourage your daughter to be strong and confident instead of inhibited by her failures.
- Teach your daughter to never text/email inappropriate pictures of herself–ever.
- Never allow your daughter to wear suggestive clothing.
- Avoid mainstream “teeny bopper” magazines for your daughter.
- Strongly encourage your daughter to pursue her dreams whether that involves higher education, technical training, or one day being a mommy!
- Teach your daughter that she’s never anyone else’s property.
Whether your daughter is the only girl in a household of boys or blends well amidst a sea of sisters, it’s important that she knows her worth!
Visit our Resource Guide for insight on homeschool curriculum!
Jamie Gaddy, B.S., M.Ed., Ed.D. has been a college education professor for over 17 years. Education has been an integral part of her life in both the classroom and as a principal. Six children later found her dissatisfied with traditional schooling and homeschooling became the better fit. She is also a pastor’s wife, remote project manager, and entrepreneur who now homeschools four of her six children (ages 11-17) in southern Georgia. Jamie loves to share about her homeschool experience and help other homeschoolers find success. Connect with her at [email protected]