6 Ways Online Learning Makes Study More Interesting for Children
There’s no denying the fact that everyone approaches studies differently. Some kids dive into their books with enthusiasm while others avoid them. It all boils down to building interest in studying, rather than treating it as a chore or burden.
Online learning has been making huge strides forward in this aspect, and students are responding positively. Recent research shows that students doing course work online are scoring higher than those studying only in a classroom. They’re also showing more interest in what they learn, compared to those in traditional settings.
With today’s tech-savvy generation of kids, these results are hardly surprising. Let’s look at the top 6 ways in which e-learning encourages kids to study better:
- Highly Personalized – With online courses, you can choose to study exactly what interests you, rather than being restricted to a one-size-fits-all curriculum. Students can opt for additional courses in subjects that they find interesting or where they excel, and get extra help where needed as well. E-learning also allows each student to receive one-on-one guidance and support from tutors, based on their individual development levels.
- Learning in Comfort – With an online course, study material is available at your fingertips. Comfort is a huge part of learning effectively, so kids can study wherever and whenever they feel comfortable, instead of wasting time traveling to school and back, or spending hours sitting in uncomfortable chairs and cramped classrooms. Older students juggling work, family life and studies can also choose when and how to hit the books.
- Mobile Access – Modern technology has put everything within easy reach, right through our smart phones and tablets. Online courses integrated with mobile apps have made learning both exciting and instantaneous. Students can download study material, take live classes, contact their tutors, and interact with others taking the same course anywhere and anytime. Mobile apps also allow access to multimedia content, such as videos and presentations, which make learning more fun.
- More Motivation – In a classroom, it isn’t always possible for teachers to adapt learning plans to each student’s mental, physical and emotional needs. Online learning, on the other hand, allows students to choose their own courses as well as the pace at which they’re comfortable learning. Setting their own study schedule and targets allows them to learn at whatever speed suits them best, and encourages them to remain motivated.
- Collaborative Learning – Even though it may seem that studying online removes the personal touch from learning, it’s actually the opposite. E-learning fosters instant collaboration in the study environment. Teachers and tutors may be at a distance physically, but help is usually available 24/7 via instant messages or email when you’re taking an online course. In addition, students can also use forums and chats to interact and collaborate with each other.
- Study and Play – One of the most interesting developments in online learning is the use of virtual classroom sessions, interactive games, live or recorded lectures, and other strategies. Visual learning aids are proven to be more effective than simple book-learning for students of every age, and there’s no better way to explore these than the digital environment. Online course material is constantly evolving, particularly in terms of making learning more fun.
There’s a lot more to be said for online learning, especially in terms of the flexibility and ease it brings to the table. It’s not just for school-going kids or teens either. Today, many adults are realizing their dreams of higher education or specialized learning through e-courses too, when their schedules made college impossible!
About Author: Making education simple and easy to comprehend is Dana Jandhyala’s forte. She’s had a long career as an educator where she has taught in several different schools and institutes in multiple countries. Today, she helps students with personalized online tutorials by SchoolPage that help make concepts easy to understand, making learning fast and fun. She writes to help students study better, and to coach parents so they can facilitate the success of their children.